The Golden Guard?

To say things were different would be an understatement. Nothing about my schedule was new, no it was me that had changed. Ever since my episode (that's what I'm calling this) I had begun noticing different things that I had been doing without realizing. This including something entirely involuntary I had been doing whenever I got nervous or scared. That being I couldn't talk. I literally couldn't say anything, I didn't learn this until after a mission I went on. I managed to explain it away, but I got lucky.

The good news was I hadn't had another episode since, which was a really good thing. Weakness isn't allowed in the Emperor's Coven. You tolerate the others around you. Everyone wants to be at the top, and the others around you are competition. When I first got my promotion I'm pretty sure I got more dirty looks than anyone outside of the coven did in there life. The only reason I couldn't be 100% certain was the masks that kept me from seeing their faces. I didn't blame then though, I do the exact same thing. Whenever I see someone higher up than me I respect them as my superior, but that doesn't mean I'm not extremely jealousy.

I had just finished my shift guarding the halls and was walking to the training room when there was an announcement coming through my alarm device.

"Please go to the ballroom for an announcement, please go to the ballroom for an announcement."

An announcement? I wonder what it is. I turned myself around and went straight to the ballroom. Once every 2 years a ball is held, every kid 13-19 years old across the Boiling Ilse is invited. It's a way for them all to enjoy themselves and meet different members of the Emperor's Coven. Every high ranking member is required to be there, as well as most of the scouts. It's a way to promote joining the Emperor's Coven, as well as a very popular event. It's completely free and the kids are picked up from home by carriage's. It's one of my least favorite ways of promotion. The last one happened when I was 11 and still in training, hence why I missing it. Let's just say I'm happy about that.

Once everyone had joined us it looked like every scout in the castle was there. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of announcement was this important. Then Lilith Clawthorne walked in and faced us. The literal head of our Coven. The only way this could be more important is if Emperor Belos himself walked in next.

"Hello scouts! I have been asked to inform you that the time has come for a new Golden Guard to be chosen." She told us.

Someone asked my first question for me.

"Who the heck is The Golden Guard Coven Master Lilith?" I heard a scout shout out. That was bold.

"I understand you not knowing. The Golden Guard is Emperor Belos right hand man/woman." She continued. "Everytime one is killed another is chosen half a decade later. This is so possible replacements are looked over before it is decided. And the Emperor has decided the new Golden Guard will be a simple scout. One of you."

I wasn't the only one to gasp at this. I could feel the shock going through the ranks. One of us would be someone that important!?

"I can understand your shock. The new Golden Guard will be selected in less than a year from now. Whoever the Emperor deems worthy will be chosen, then will be prepared for there initiation. Which will be the inheritance of the old Golden Guard's staff, and therefore making them the new one. So I suggest you make yourself's useful and do what you can to earn this. You are dismissed for dinner."

I walked out in shock going straight to my room. Once I got there it hit me. I had the chance to be everything I should be. And I couldn't mess it up.

I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror.

"You are going to be the next Golden Guard Hunter! Don't mess up your opportunity to finally be the nephew your uncle deserves. So don't mess it up!"