t w e l v e

ROOSTER HAD A SMILE on his face, as he walked out of the brief meeting with the two admirals. They had congratulated him and Maverick on their brave flying, and had asked him to find Arden and send her to them.

However, the second he stepped out of the door, he found Phoenix and Hangman waiting for him, their faces both sporting grim expressions.

"Where's Arden?" He asked, his heart dropping.

"She's been helicopter lifted back to California," Phoenix told him, and his entire world stopped.

"Oh god," he managed to get out as he practically collapsed onto the floor, felling like he couldn't breathe. He brought his knees to his chest, and his hung his head. "When did they leave?"

"Just a few minutes ago," Hangman answered. Rooster nodded and was suddenly filled with determination.

"I have to go meet her there," he told them, standing up. They nodded and Phoenix offered him a gentle smile.

"The rest of us are leaving in about an hour, but you've already been cleared by Hondo to take off earlier. We'll grab your stuff, go."

Rooster nodded and then ran off down the hallway. He grabbed his helmet from his locker and then headed to the elevator. Hondo was there as soon as he stepped out on the tarmac, and nodded to him. Rooster nodded in thanks and then ran over to his plane, which had already been prepped to go. Rooster secured his helmet and then gave the thumbs up to the crew down on the deck. He waited a few moments until he got the thumbs up back, and then he was off.

***

It was a short flight back to the base on North Island, and Rooster made it even shorter with the speed he was flying at. He landed and in record speed he was in the parking lot and hopping into his Ford Bronco, off to the hospital to see Arden.

He ran through the hospital doors, and up to the receptionist, who looked at him kindly.

"I'm here to see Arden Scott," he told her. "She was flown in about two hours ago." The woman handed him a form to fill out, and he did it as fast as he could. She then typed all the information into her computer, before smiling at him.

"She's currently in surgery, if you want to take a seat, I can have the doctors take you to her as soon as she's done," she offered, and Rooster nodded.

"Yes please, thank you." She nodded and Rooster turned and made his way over to the empty seats that the reception area held. He sat in the corner, his head in his hands, praying that she would pull through.

He didn't know how long he sat there for, but it felt like days before the doctor called his name. Every possible scenario ran through his head. She could be okay, and have a perfect recovery, that was his hope. She could be okay, but not make full recovery. She might never be able to fly again. She could bleed out on the table, the doctor could make a mistake.

"Lieutenant Bradshaw?" His head snapped up to see a middle aged woman with black hair, looking around the reception area.

"Right here," he answered, and the doctor made her way over to him. "Is she okay?"

"Yes. For the time being, Arden Scott is stable and is expected to make a full recovery," the doctor assured him. Rooster's head dropped back in his hands, tears of relief flooding his eyes. He didn't allow them to fall; however, not until he was alone.

"Can I see her?" He asked, his voice breaking. The doctor nodded and soon Rooster was following her through the hallways, heading to see his girl.

The doctor opened a curtain, and slide a door open to reveal Arden laying in a hospital bed. There were various tubes and monitors attached to her, and the sight made Rooster's heart ache.

"She's still sleeping, but she should wake up soon. If you need anything, please let me know," the doctor said and Rooster nodded. "Oh and Lieutenant, thank you for your service."

Rooster nodded at her, before she left, shutting both the door and the curtain behind her. Rooster pulled one of the chairs right next to her bed, sitting down, and taking one of her hands in both of his. He kissed it gently, and squeezed it. Even in a hospital bed, Rooster thought she was beautiful.

The tears that had been collecting over the past few hours finally spilled out, rolling down his cheeks as he quietly sobbed. He couldn't stand the thought of losing her, yet he was so close to having to find out what that felt like. He felt Arden shift, and he looked up to see her opening her eyes.

She turned her head to the side to see Bradley sitting next to her, holding her hand, and crying. She offered him a small smile.

"Hey," she greeted, her voice slightly hoarse. She reached her hand up to brush the tears off of his face, as he smiled at her.

"Hey," he responded. "How are you feeling?" He so desperately wanted to kiss her, but he refrained because he didn't want to hurt her.

"Like I just barely avoided death a few too many times," she joked, and he just shook her head at her, chuckling softly. "What did Cyclone want with you and Mav?"

"He was just congratulating us on the success of our mission, and telling us that we did some pretty brave stuff. He wanted to talk with you too, but obviously that didn't work out," he told her, and she smiled in amusement.

"Obviously," she agreed. She saw his smile fade, and she furrowed her eyebrows in concern. "What's wrong?"

She could feel his hand that was holding hers, shaking and she squeezed it.

"God Arden. I walked out of that room to see Phoenix and Hangman standing there looking like they had seen a ghost, and I knew something was wrong," he told her, his voice breaking. "They told me you were helicopter lifted here, and I left as fast as I could."

"Bradley," she said gently, his head lifting so that he could look at her. "I'm okay."

"But for a moment there where you weren't," he responded, and her heart broke at the pain in his voice. "I don't know what I would have done if I had lost you."

"Well, it's a good thing you don't have to find out then isn't it," she spoke. He smiled at her and she smirked. "Now come up here and kiss me."

Bradley didn't need to be told twice. He stood, and leaned over her, pressing a kiss to her lips. She rested a hand on his cheek, as she bathed in his intoxicating scent. They pulled apart and he rested his forehead against hers.

"Thank you for not dying on me," he whispered. She kissed him again, feeling a tear fall onto her cheek. She gently pulled away, her eyes meeting his, as she wiped a second tear away with her thumb.

"I'm offended you even thought that I would," she responded. He smiled and kissed her again, more fervently this time, and she smiled into it. In that moment, laying in a hospital bed after almost dying for the third or fourth time that day, kissing the man she loved, she couldn't be any happier.

Lauren Time:

So I decided not to kill her. I just couldn't, I love her and them way too much.

I think I'll have like one more chapter after this, and then an epilogue for y'all so stayed tuned for those.