t e n

ARDEN WAS SCARED out of her fucking mind. She stood in her flight suit with the rest of the team, waiting for Maverick to speak. Rooster stood next to her, his hand occasionally brushing hers. Both of them needed the reminder that they weren't alone and that everything was going to be alright.

"It's been an honor flying with you," Maverick spoke. "Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choices are a reflection of that and nothing else."

"Chose your two foxtrot teams," Admiral Simpson told him.

"Payback and Fanboy," Maverick announced. "Phoenix and Bob." Arden smiled lightly at her best friend's name being called.

"Choose your wingman,"  Admiral Simpson then said. The room was dead silent as they waited for Maverick's choice.

"Rooster." Arden glanced at Rooster, a small smile on her lips. She knew he was freaking out on the inside, but he did a good job at hiding it.

"And your decoy," Admiral Simpson added. There were low murmurs throughout the pilots. Nobody but Arden and Bradley knew what they were talking about. Bradley's body tensed when he heard this, and Arden's mouth grew dry. Both the Admirals had their eyes locked on her, along with Maverick.

"Talon." Arden felt everyone's eyes on her, but she kept her's locked on Maverick's. This was it.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that is required. Dismissed," Admiral Simpson said and the pilots all started to congratulate those going on the mission. Most eyes were still on Arden however, because nobody knew what the hell she was doing. Arden ignored the stares as she took a moment to look over everyone's faces. This would most likely be the last time she saw them, and she wanted to commit them to memory. She wanted to remember the people she was dying for.

Rooster laced their fingers together, which brought her out of her thoughts.

"I guess this is it," he said quietly, as he turned to face her.

"Nope, I'm coming back," she assured him. Rooster smiled at her, but Arden could tell it was forced. He wanted to believe her, but the odds were severely stacked against her.

"Promise?" He asked, the fear and worry in his voice evident. Arden swallowed the lump in her throat, and nodded.

"Promise." Bradley nodded at this and pulled her into a hug, bathing in her calming jasmine scent. He tried to push the thought that this might be the last time he hugged her, or smelled her, out of his mind. He couldn't think like that. He had to have hope that she would come out of this okay.

Phoenix was waiting for Arden to walk up to the deck together.

"What the hell is a decoy?" She asked quietly. She gauged from Bradley's reactions to the word that it wasn't good. The boy was practically hanging off of Arden, but the blonde didn't mind. It did worry the brunette girl, however.

"It's exactly what it sounds like Phe," Arden answered, sounding braver than she felt. Phoenix gave her a look.

"Please just don't do anything stupid," the brunette told her.

"Me? Of course not," Arden joked, and this earned a laugh from her friend.

"I'm serious," Phoenix told her, and Arden nodded. They exited the elevator and were greeted by a bunch of different crew personnel, all of whom would help them get ready for the mission. Arden made her way over to her plane, and ran her hand along the nose of it.

"How about one more ride sweetheart," Arden whispered. She ran her fingers over her name that was printed on. This name would probably be the thing that identifies her wreckage when search and rescue comes looking for her after the dust settles.