t w o

"ATTENTION ON DECK." Everybody stood at those three words coming from the admiral in front of them, waiting for him to continue.

"Good morning. Welcome to your special training detachment, be seated." Arden took her seat next to Rooster as the pilots all focused their attention on the man at the podium. "You all are Top Gun graduates, the best of the best. That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighter levels the playing field. You can be sure that we no longer have the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box."

Hangman looks over his shoulder at Arden, who rolls her eyes in response, subtly flipping him off as the admiral continued. "Half of you will make the cut. Only one of you will be team leader. The other half will wait in reserve. Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to learn and master. His exploits are legendary, and what he has to teach you very well might be the difference between life and death."

The sound of footsteps sounded behind her and Arden waited in anticipation as the person made their way to the podium. When he turned around, her eyes widened. Maverick.

Both of her parents had known him from their days in Top Gun. Her father had flown with him several times, and the two remain close friends up until this day. The fact that she didn't know Maverick was going to be their teacher up until this point surprised her.

She noticed Rooster shift uncomfortably in his seat next to her. She glanced over at him, but his eyes were fixed on Maverick.

"I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign, Maverick."

"Good morning," Maverick said with a smile, before holding up the F-18 NATOPS. "This book contains everything you need to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know this book inside and out."

He received a chorus of nods from the group, and one "Hell yeah" from Hangman. Maverick promptly threw the stack of manuals in the trash can next to him, which caused Arden's eyebrows to raise.

"So does your enemy," he told them. "But what your enemy doesn't know are your limits. I intend to find those limits, test them, and push beyond. So today we'll start with what you only think you know. Show me what you're made of."

***

Arden stood near her plane, running her hand along the bottom of the wing when she caught sight of Rooster and Maverick talking, out of the corner of her eye. Rooster was on edge, she knew that for sure. His hand that wasn't carrying his helmet was clenched, and his shoulders were tense.

Minutes later she was up in the air with Phoenix and Bob, and Hangman.

"Good morning aviators, this is your captain speaking," Maverick said over the com. "Welcome to basic fighting maneuvers. As briefed, today's exercise is dogfighting. Guns only, no missiles. We do not go below the hard deck of 5000 feet."

"See him anywhere?" Arden asked Hangman, who was positioned to her right. He shook his head and then Bob's voice came through.

"He's right under us!"

Arden groaned. Of course, he was under them. She tilted her plane to the side to let Maverick through, but Hangman didn't get the memo and the air force from Maverick's plane made his wobble. Hangman recovered quickly; however, and flew off in pursuit of Maverick.

"This is why we call him Hangman. He always leaves you out to dry," Phoenix said, as the two chased after them.

Arden tugged on the joystick and headed up towards Maverick, who had just gotten Hangman. She knew how he flew, or at least she had some idea. Hopefully it was enough to give her an advantage.