Red Stains - Part 1

~Heather~

Looking up at the school in front of me I can’t help but feel a little anxious. It’s so big and ancient. It looks like a castle in school form. The whole building seems to be made out of massive stone blocks which are a musty grey colour, probably from old age, the floors are wooden and gleam as if they’ve been polished a thousand times, the ceilings are high and are dawned with large chandeliers which would cost a bomb on their own, the doors are large and wooden or nonexistent, but just of corners off the main hallway instead, and the portraits are simply amazing. 

“Are you sure we’re in the right place?” I ask looking up at my brother whose dark brown/amber eyes seem to be sparkling with excitement. Snapping out of his trance like state he looks back at me meeting my eyes and giving me a warm smile that has me immediately relaxed.

“Of course it’s the right place” he tells me simply before leading me down the hallway, squeezing my hand comfortingly as we walk. We turn into a small room that is set up like a reception but a lot posher and more intimidating. A middle aged woman with dark hair and smouldering brown eyes suddenly appears behind the dark wooden reception desk smiling at us.

“Hey, I’m James and this is my sister Heather. We’re new here” James tells her holding out his hand for her to shake which she does immediately returning his friendliness happily.

“Nice to meet you both, I’ll just print off your timetables and dorm assignments,” she smiles again at both of us before disappearing into the back room behind the desk. Dorm rooms are the one thing that I'm worried about. Do we have to share with another student? Will I like my roomie? I will also be separated from James which will of course be a lot of fun but I’m just so used to having him there that it will take a while to get used to.

The woman was back carrying two folders with our names printed on them. “Here you go, the dorms aren’t hard to find. Just follow the signs. You may go with one another but after that girls and boys are forbidden to go into opposing dorm areas.” She smiles again handing James the folders and disappearing again. Weird.

James grabs my hand, pulling me with him so I end up walking out of the room too quickly and falling onto him. He catches me before I end up on the ground, putting his arm around my shoulders as he smirks at me. “Not cool James” I tell him angrily, he is always pushing me around and I don’t want him to do it here.

“Aww, you know you love me” He replies in a sing song way.

“You are lucky I do or I’d have slapped you by now” I tell him simply, my voice soft but serious. Any other guy would have got a slap, I may not be amazingly strong but I can be damn fierce when I want to be and he knows it. 

We stop at the end of the hallway before Jack finds the sign to the dorms and we are off again walking down yet another set of identical and grand hallways. I am going to get so lost until I get used to this place. Opening my folder as we walk I find a large key which had the number ‘173’ on it which I assume means that I’m in that room.

“We’ll go to your dorm first then you can come with me to mine”

“Okay”

Reaching a large arched doorway that is marked ‘Dorm A,’ James puts his arm around my shoulders before we continue through towards the girl’s side of the dorms. The large hallways had all been empty but the one up ahead seems to be buzzing with students going from room to room laughing and chatting with their friends.

“Don’t worry Heather, they won’t bite” James whispers in my ear before we continue walking into the hallway ahead. Heads turn as we walk past the mob of girls, some looking curious others looking me and James up and down giving me shivers up my spine. Why do I feel like I’m being scanned? James doesn't seem to notice the crowd now watching us as he leads me to my room. I find myself looking up at the number ‘173’. Home, sweet home. I get the old key and quickly open the door walking in with James following behind me.

I let out a sigh of relief as I take in the bed in the middle of the room, one bed, and no room mates. Thank god. I won’t have to worry about talking to anyone just yet and I won’t have to share my space. I’ve always been the type of person that needs her own space and own time to be happy. Not that I’m antisocial, I just like being alone sometimes. Being alone means a clear mind and I can practice my music without listening ears and embarrassing comments. “Seems nice” James comments bringing me out of my thoughts. He’s right it does seem nice, peaceful and not near as daunting as the rest of the place had seemed so far.

“Yeah I’ll unpack later, let’s go find your dorm”

“Sure, do you want to get changed first” Change, why would I need to change? Looking down at myself I find that I’m wearing my travelling coat and just some old jeans and a tee… changing might be a good idea.

“Actually yes!” James chuckles at me as I start sorting through my suitcase to find something better to wear. No wonder I was getting looked up and down. Grabbing my black short shorts and my flatteringly baggy, light pink midriff top I go to change in the small bathroom. My hair is also a mess… god I look awful. I return from the bathroom after brushing my hair through with my fingers and putting on my clothes to find James sitting on the bed flipping through the folders we had gotten at the office. I search through my suitcase until I find my nude high heels and long, gold owl necklace. Perfect.

James suddenly realises I’m done and looks up at me his face contorting into a frown as he looks me up and down.

“What? Do I look bad?”

“No, you look fine I just don’t like my little sister showing so much skin” He grumbles angrily.

“Tough! Now let’s go” I tell him before grabbing my key and opening the door. The girls who were in the hallway before seem to all have disappeared, oh well. Turning around I find James carrying his suitcase and examining the small map of the dorms he must have found in his folder.

“Come on it’s this way” He starts walking and I quickly rush after him putting my hand in his. I am still a little nervous of being alone; I know that sounds hypocritical because I like being alone but not in a big old school that I could easily get lost in and I don’t know anyone. “Nervous?” He whispers before we walk through a similar arch to the one we went through to get to the girls dorm earlier. At the end of the hallway is a sign that says ‘Dorm B’.

“Shut up James” I murmur. Oh joy, time to get scanned again. At least I look a lot better now. We walk through, my hand still firmly wrapped in James’s and straight into a herd of extremely hot guys. I mean seriously every single one of them is swoon-worthy, what is this a school for male models? They all turn around abruptly as we walk towards them down to James’s room. At least thirty pairs of eyes are now on me and to my discomfort they all seem to me scanning me, just like the girls did before.

Looking up at James for support he seems to be glaring at the guys angrily. What’s up with him? A cool arm wraps around my shoulders causing me to spin around to come face to face with a guy with dark messy hair and bright green eyes. Damn another hottie.

“I’m Max, and you are…” He smirks at me as his eyes bore into mine.

“Not interested” James scowls at Max before leading me down to his room which is number ‘312’. Unlocking the door we’re met by a major mess. My eyes take in the room which has three beds in it.

“Looks like you have roomies” I laugh as I take in James’s disgruntled face.

“Very messy roomies” He moans making me laugh harder. James is a typical 18 year old boy but he has an issue with mess. Organized mess is fine but a massive pile of crap on the ground makes him go insane, his roommates are going to love him!