D&M

Chapter 22

"So there's steak, sausages, onion, tomato, fruit salad, spaghetti and heaps of other food, so stuff yourselves" mum steps aside as Rein, Finn and Neville fight over the spaghetti spoon.

I stand back as Evie goes in to get food, pushing the boys out of the way as she goes.

After half of the food is gone, and the boys and Evie have had their fill, the parents swoop in as I hide to the back, almost inside, I keep slinking back to the door.

Everybody is at the food, mum slowly swings her head around probably searching for me.

I jump backwards straight through the door and spin behind the curtain.

I stay completely still for a couple of seconds, hardly breathing for the fear that mum will see the curtains moving and use peer pressure to get me to eat something.

Peeking out I see she is whispering to dad, dad looks to Rein and says something to him, he nods and looks towards the door.

He spots me hiding, starts walking towards the door, making hiding movements with his hand l, I quickly slip back behind the curtain waiting.

"Good spot to hide, isn't it?" I jump out of my skin, I turn to find Archer looking at me with a satisfied smirk on his face, and he knows he scared the crap out of me.

"Rein is coming, did you write the note?"

"Of course, it was the only thing you trusted me to do" he pulls it out of his pocket and waves it around, he is such an idiot.

"Guys you have to go, give me the note and I’ll give you five minutes to get out" Rein whispers as he leans inside the door making it looks like he looking in the house.

Archer hands him the note and for back to his pocket throwing me my keys.

"Let's go" I catch them and walk quickly to the car.

"Hurry up, hurry up" Archer pushes my back, ushering me into the car, I can hear people walking around the house on the upstairs level.

I shove the keys in and rev the engine, I mash the button for the roller door and reverse out, I turn and rocket down the road, I'm home free, and don't have any idea where I'm going.

"So where to?"

"Well I said in the note that we were going to the movie theatre, because I wasn't feeling very well and watching movies makes me feel better"

"So anywhere but there?" I ask

"Pretty much"

"Let go to the jetty, it’s nearly 5 so it should be getting dark soon"

"Okay but can we get ice cream, I didn't eat anything?" I can feel him staring at me

"Fine" I sigh, his gaze drops off as I turn to go to the beach.

I cruise down the foreshore, looking for a park.

"There!" Archer points to a park up ahead and I dive straight into it.

"What are we gonna do now, it’s a two day walk to the ice-cream shop" I whine, looking at him expectantly.

"We walk" Archer gets out of the car and I follow him slowly.

As soon as we get onto the footpath, people passing by give us weird looks, Archer with his bruised face and bandages that are visible through his shirt.

And me the skinny awkward girl walking next to him.

We walk in an uncomfortable silence, every time I think of something to say I open my mouth and does at the same time, we tell each other to go, but nobody actually does.