Chapter 25 "His Final Wish" (The Final Chapter)

"[y/n], dear, wake up." Severus gingerly whispers to you as he sits up next to you on the bed. You blink your eyes open at the sound of his voice and his hand on your shoulder, the kind softness of his gaze upon you. You smile as you rub your eyes and push to sit up.

"Good morning." You whisper, leaning closer to lay a gentle kiss on his cheek, smelling his clean damp hair and the musk of his aftershave. "You smell nice." You say softly, smiling blissfully.

Severus chuckles. He watches you as the soft waves of your hair fall messily by your shoulders. Eyes still sleepily half-closed with a soft grin on your face. Your charm engulfing his heart with every whisper, every smile, every laugh. He still can't believe you're in his bed, still riding the high from last night.

"I have something for you." He grins.

Your eyes light up in anticipation. Severus turns and bends over to reach from under the bed. You admire his back side as he pops up with a small box.

"My Christmas gift, to you." He hands you the box. It's wrapping adorned with white snowflakes and a gold ribbon. You gasp in excitement, rushing to grab the box from him. Severus laughs at your face full of wonder. You pull on the ribbon to undo the bow, then lift up the top of the box. In the box sits on a bed of red silk, a small, delicate marquis-shaped silver locket with an emerald stone in the middle etched with intricate detailing. Your face drops in awe as you lift it from the chain.

"Allow me." He smiles, motioning to give it to him.

You smile, turning around and lifting your hair. He reaches over your head, then clasps it, fighting the urge to kiss your neck. You turn back to face him, then look down at the locket sitting on your chest.

"It's absolutely beautiful." You say in awe. You open it to see that it's empty.

"The locket opens only to you. You can fill it with whatever you like, but there's an even greater secret to it." He reaches to close the locket, then pushes in the emerald stone.

"Vocare"

A bright and beautiful emerald light emits from the stone, then materializes to dance around him in a spiral. He reaches his hand to touch you, and the moment your skin makes contact, the light fades.

"I'd never pass up a chance to see your Patronus, but in case you don't have your wand... and since you're always getting into trouble..." He says sternly, but with a joking grin on his face. "Anytime you need me, you can summon me with this. And I will come to you. Always."

You look up at him, touched and shocked at his gesture, speechless. It's all you've ever wanted. To feel looked after. Like someone in this world truly loves and cares about you and would drop anything to protect you.

"This is...the most...the sweetest..." You shake your head in disbelief, then look into his eyes. "Thank you." You say earnestly, overwhelmed with the love you feel in this moment. Your eyes lock onto his lips. Severus feels your gaze and reads your face. He leans forward and pulls you into a kiss. Your hands go to the sides of his face, then down to his chest, feeling the soft pulse of his beating heart at your fingertips. You could cling onto his lips forever, kissing him until the end of time.

You get dressed and walk out of his office to go back to the dorms for a shower and to feed Whodini, but not before giving Severus one last embrace and checking the hall to see if the coast is clear. It's New Year's Eve and the new term starts back tomorrow. You wish you had more time to spend with Severus alone, but perhaps this new term will prove to be interesting now that he's given in to loving you in private. Clever girl, you always get what you want. You giggle at the thought.