Chapter One

The student union of Boston University was packed. The first day back always tended to be hectic with moving back into the dorms. And by lunch, everyone wanted to just find a seat, sit, and relax for a few.

Late August in Boston, while not hot, wasn't cool either, so most wore shorts, tanks, skirts, and various other summer attire. A Dr. Dre Beatbox on one of the outside tables blared some upbeat playlist, and lots of the people assembled outside moved to the music. A veritable feast of hormones.

At least that was how Nikoli Kincaid saw things. His gaze moved over the mass of bodies, categorizing all the women there. He couldn't find a single one outside of the newly arrived freshmen he hadn't bedded who he'd wanted to over the last three years. The ones who hadn't made it into his bed were the ones who tried too hard or he simply wasn't attracted to them. He never had sex with the same woman twice. It was a strict rule of his and one he refused to break for anyone.

He sat there and debated if he should pick up the cute little redhead who looked lost or the brazen blonde who eyeballed him with open lust.

Nikoli smiled at the blonde. He knew the effect he had on women and used it to his advantage daily. His grandmother called his good looks a curse; he called them facilitators of a good time. Hair the color of rich, dark chocolate and onyx eyes pulled women to him like a magnet. His eyes were always full of the promise of mind-blowing sex. His Russian accent only added to his allure. He'd had a woman twice his age tell him that once. He'd been a little grossed out at first being hit on by a woman who could be his mother, but he'd accepted a long time ago what his looks could do for him.

No better way to christen the beginning of his senior year than... His mouth dropped open, earning him a questioning look from the guy sitting beside him. Luther Conway had been his best friend since freshman year of high school and was the only person who really knew him. Hell, some days Nik didn't know himself, but he could count on Luther to keep him grounded.

"She is not a freshman."

"Who?" Luther sat up and scanned the crowd, his gaze coming to land on who'd caught Nik's attention so thoroughly. Hair so black it glinted blue in any kind of light was held up in a high ponytail. Warm blue eyes rested on the guy she spoke with. Her small, delicate face radiated laughter. She was a stunning beauty who had no idea how beautiful she really was. Lily Holmes had no idea the effect she had on men. Nikoli found the trait very rarely in women, but when he did, he appreciated it all the more.

"Don't even think about it, Nik," he warned. "That's Lily Holmes."

Ah, the fabled Lily Holmes. He'd heard her name often. She tutored most of the football team and several members of his own frat house. She'd even helped Luther out once, which made it strange he'd never laid eyes on her before.

"They'll break every bone in your body if you hurt her."

"It'll be worth it." He grinned and jumped up, the lusty little blonde forgotten as he sauntered over to meet Miss Lily Holmes.

Lily smiled but grimaced inside. All she really wanted to do was go find a quiet corner and sit for a bit. Not that it was even a possibility with the crowd she found herself surrounded by.

She sighed as several of Adam's football buddies came over. They all had to say hello, and then more people wandered over, the small crowd around the maple tree in front of the Student Union growing by the second. She'd promised to meet Adam here for lunch, but if he didn't show up soon, she was going to bail. She needed to check with the bookstore to see if her lit book was in yet. As of yesterday, it still wasn't in stock, but they were hopeful it'd be in today. If worse came to worse, she'd rent a digital copy through Amazon until the book arrived.