A Second Chance (EXE)

A lone blue hedgehog sat in a dark void. Where there were no sounds and no movement Absolute Nothingness. Nothing was all there was, and he believed nothing is all there will ever be.

Why was he here? Well, he had been banished. Terminated. Erased. Thrown away like garbage. He didn't do anything wrong. He was only carrying out his role like he was supposed to. So why was he being replaced?

It all started with nothing. He didn't exist, yet. He couldn't think, he couldn't feel, and he technically wasn't even alive by the traditional definition. All he could do was wait until he was brought into existence.

Then, it happened. Someone, somewhere, thought of him. He could feel it. He was now what people call a "concept", a being who still didn't exist, but sometime in the future, would be given life, a body, and a purpose.

Concepts could think, feel emotion, and have human-level intelligence. Now that he had been thought of, all he had to do was wait. Wait until he could be brought to life.

"Woah! So this is what existence feels like..." The concept said. "I hope I don't get scrapped. Man, that would suck."

"Scrapped" was where a Concept would never be brought to life. They'd still have intelligence, but would never be brought to fruition. Never be given life, and never be given purpose. Being doomed to float in the world of nothingness was a fate worse than death.

"C'mon, thinker, don't give up on me." The concept says.

"Thinkers" were the people who thought of concepts. They were Gods to Concepts. They decided if they were worthy of life. Usually, if a Concept isn't given life within a decade, then they were considered Scrapped.

Now, the concept would wait. Hours, days, and weeks would go by. Though the Concept could feel the weeks going by, it never lost hope. Hope that would be given life.

Then, it happened. It took a sharp breath, not used to now having lungs. It blinked rapidly, not used to having eyes. Then he just fell to the ground completely. The sudden shift from nonexistence to existence was a bit too much to bear.

After a few seconds of lying there, he finally gets up. He figured that operating a body would be difficult for a while, but it came instinctively to him.

'Great, another void.' He thought, disappointed. After looking around, he notices a group of people staring at him. And for some reason, they all looked similar to each other. Maybe they were related?

"Hi...?" He says. This was his first time interacting with other living beings. He wanted to make a good impression.

"Hi." A deep, staticky voice says from behind him.

He slowly turns. A toweringly tall hedgehog with an 'X' Scar on his chest was staring down at him. He was deeply unsettling and radiated power. He jumps in shock.

This caused everybody to laugh. The intimidating hedgehog shrunk down to a reasonable size and laughed along with everyone else.

"I'm sorry, It's tradition to scare any newcomers who just happen to come here. I'm Xenophanes, and you are?" Xenophanes said, lending the prank victim a hand.

He takes his hand and stands up. "I'm designated as EXE, my creator is the one known as revie."

"Wow, the director herself created you? Ain't that something." Xenophanes says, slightly impressed. Little did he know, it wouldn't be so impressive in the future.

"Now, why don't you have a look at yourself," Xenophanes says. Suddenly, a mirror appears in his hands. And he hands it to EXE.

EXE looks into the mirror and leans back in surprise at his appearance. He didn't hate it, any identity was better than no Identity. "What do you think of it? I think it's way better than what I ended up with. A bit too edgy for my tastes." Xeno says.