i.

!!! TW MENTIONS OF DEATH !!!

FRIDAY, MARCH 21ST 1986 | HAWKINS, INDIANA

"melissa, put the guitar away! you've got school in ten minutes! it's that pep rally today, remember?" sean yelled from the kitchen.

the girl jumped up, put her gibson on her bed and jumped up. she took her bag from her desk and hurried out of the room. throwing her bag by the front door of their trailer, melissa put on her black all stars. she picked up the bag again and opened the door to head outside.

"wait! you forgot lunch!" sean shouted.

"i'll just pick something up at school. besides, i don't eat that much at lunch anyway!" melissa shouted back, "got to go, love you!"

"i love you too!" sean yelled back.

the girl ran outside and jumped on her sloppy bike. melissa biked her way to school and as she was riding the bike with her walkman blasting black sabbath through her ears, she noticed there was a car behind her. the blonde kept riding in the bike lane, but right then, the car behind her honked. she looked behind her and saw two people in it; a guy behind the steering wheel and a girl in the passenger's seat scolding him for honking.

shaking it off, melissa focused on the road again and she quickened her driving. as she arrived at the school, she parked her bike and followed everyone to the gym, just like some woman told everyone.

"miss fletcher! melissa!" the woman called.

melissa turned around and walked towards her.

"hi, honey. i'm miss kelley," she introduced herself, 'i'm the guidance counsellor here. if you ever feel the need to talk to me, my door is always open for you, okay. now, go join the other students in the gym for the pep rally and then look for me, all right?"

melissa nodded silently and let the tape play again. she walked to the gym and sat at the far end of the stand. watching the cheerleaders doing their dance move thingies, melissa rolled her eyes and as soon as the school band started playing, she got a tad more hyped. soon, the cheerleaders finished cheering, the band stopped playing and some announcer announced 'the tigers'.

"good morning hawkins high!" a blond dude yelled into the mic when the rest of the 'tigers' arrived in the gym.

as soon as he said it, the audience started cheering. melissa rolled her eyes, not understanding why everyone loved the popular dude who was so full of himself.

"let me guess, leader of the basketball team, boyfriend of the head of the cheering squad and has a lot of friends, but actually hates himself," mumbled the girl.

"oh, i'm sure he loves himself, but you're probably right on all the other things," a male voice from behind melissa spoke.

the blonde turned around and she saw a dude with long curly hair. he was wearing a lot of rings on his hands, which melissa noticed because his hand was put on his face, and he smiled down at her.

"i'm eddie," he introduced himself, "i'm weird, a freak, but i love music. says so in my yearbook signature."

melissa found herself smiling at the guy's joke and took off her walkman, stopping the tape from playing.

"melissa, i'm probably weird, probably a freak and music's kind of my life. my dad says so."

eddie smiled at her and gestured to her walkman, asking her what was playing.

"a mix of songs by black sabbath, metallica, ac/dc, queen, guns 'n roses, iron maiden and the beatles, of course," melissa answered, "you know, i think i might have a couple of songs by the rolling stones too."