Part 10

She looked along all the books on the shelf, running her fingers across the spines of each one. When she’d first looked at the book, she wasn’t trying to take any of the details to memory, she was merely curious. However, now she had a reason and she wanted, no, she needed to know everything that this book held. She came to a book and as she touched, she felt a magical pull towards it and she knew it was the one. Pulling it from its shelf she could feel the leather was surprisingly smooth.

The book she was holding had a dark blue leather cover and looked old, it had black scrolls all around the edges and as she turned it over there was a very small symbol in the bottom left corner in the shape of a triple spiral. She saw the clasp on the book; she’d forgotten it had been locked.

Aimee tried to remember the book she was holding the day she saw Mr Marsden and she had thought it was green and gold but maybe her mind was playing tricks. She wouldn’t be surprised with recent events.

She sat down and tried to open the lock, it wouldn’t budge. She knew it had opened last time she was here; she couldn’t understand why it wasn’t opening. Mr Marsden said she was the only one who could open it, so why wasn’t it working?  This could just prove he’s wrong and she can forget all of the past few days had ever happened.

She walked into the back room where her Aunt had a big mahogany desk; opening the drawer looking for something sharp, she grabbed a small letter opener. She tried to prise open the lock but it wouldn’t even scratch. Giving up she flung the letter opener back into the drawer and made her way to her Aunt.

“Aunt Mary, I’ve been trying to open this and I was wondering if I could please take it home to try and read it?” she sweetly asked her Aunt.

Looking over at the book her eyes widened. “What do you want to read that one for dear, there are many others that I’m sure you’d find more enjoyable and you don’t even know the content, it could be anything?”

“Well I actually opened it on Saturday and it seemed kind of interesting,” Aimee tried to sound convincing without giving anything away, she couldn’t let her Aunt know the real reason.

“You opened the book?” her Aunt asked curiously.

Aimee looked at her aunt, this was the second time she had this reaction over opening the book, could she know?

“Yes, it just came open and I had a little look at it, so is it ok?”

“Erm, sure darling, just make sure you keep it safe, it has been in this store a long time.”

With that, Aimee placed the book securely in her bag and made her way home to try and open the book, if she couldn’t get it open she wouldn’t know what to do. Mr Marsden said it was vital to the pursuit.

Once Aimee had left her Aunt made her way to her room, sitting down at her mahogany table she let out a deep sigh and picked up the phone.

“Hello” the voice at the other end of the phone spoke.

“Hi, it’s Mary. I think she could be getting suspicious or may have found something out”, she worriedly warned.

“How could that be possible, nobody else could possibly know who she is and I can’t imagine she could find out on her own? What makes you have these suspicions?”

There was a long silence over the phone until Mary broke it.

“She’s opened it. She’s found the book and opened it.”

There was a gasp on the other side of the phone. “We can’t let this get out, do you understand the consequences if they were to find out, there would be a war.”

“I know, I will think of something and I will watch her.”

Mary hung up, she placed her hand under her desk, finding what she looking for she heard a click, reaching into the hidden compartment she pulled out an envelope and a silver necklace. The necklace was a triple spiral symbol with opals on each spiral and a larger one in the centre. Each opal was a different colour, green, red, white and blue in the centre. The envelope was beautifully decorated with a gold lining and the writing was intricate.  To Our Dearest Daughter was written beautifully on the front. Mary clutched them both to her chest and a single tear ran down her cheek.

----------------------------

Aimee walked into her bedroom window and sat down on the seat, pulling out the book from her bag she couldn’t believe all this fuss over a book.

She spent twenty minutes trying to open the stupid clasp and nothing happened. She had tried everything, from kitchen knives, to screwdrivers. Driving herself to frustration, and without thinking she hurled the book. There was a shatter, as Aimee looked in the direction to where she had thrown the book, she could see that the mirror of her dressing table had shattered. With a huff, she wandered over to the book and as she picked it up she caught her hand on a glass shard making her snatch her hand back to her chest, dropping the book. She ran to her bathroom to rinse the blood from her finger, she was feeling frustrated and infuriated at the situation she was in.

Walking back to her bedroom she picked up the book and noticed the clasp was now open, she sarcastically thought that each time she needed to open the book she would just have to drop the damn thing for it to open, that or bleed all over it.  Aimee began to wonder if that was actually significant because both times it had opened she’d dropped her blood on it, maybe that could have been what Mr Marsden had meant by her being the only one that could open the book.

When Aimee opened the book she noticed there was a small written insert on the first page; she hadn’t noticed this the first time because she’d quickly just fanned through the pages.

311011

Aolyl pz h qvbyulf fvb ullk av ilnpu, mvy aopz ylhk dpaopu.

Aolyl hyl paltz fvb ullk av bumvsk, huk aolpy zljylaz dpss il avsk.

7 paltz ullk av il mvbuk, pu aol hpy vy pu aol nyvbuk.

Luzbyl fvb wylwhyl, mvy khunly dpss il aolyl.

She couldn’t recognise the language that it had been written in but she was intrigued. There was also a page ripped out and written along the torn edge was a riddle.

I have seas with no water, coast with no sand, towns without people, and mountains without land. What am I?

She carried on looking through the book, it was how she remembered it, and there were pictures with large descriptions of them. The drawings were so colourful and vibrant, they popped off the page and they felt so mystical, the paper felt so old and precious between her fingers.

She pulled out her phone, staring at it wondering if what she was about to do was a good idea.

* I have it and its open, now what?*

She patiently waited for a reply when her phone buzzed. * I will be there in ten minutes, be ready.*

Aimee quickly ran downstairs and scribbled a note for her aunt.

*I have gone to a friends, won’t be long. Love you xxx *

She grabbed some cellotape to cover the clasp ensuring it wouldn’t close over again when she heard a car outside. She quickly placed the book in her bag and left the house.

A/N : I would love some feedback off you guys, where you think i can improve etc and what you like