part 31

Tommy smiled and let Wilbur pay for his own. He was still trying to repay Wilbur for taking him in, giving him a job a home.. A proper life! Everything he wanted. Perhaps even if he dared say... A family again? He didn't know if he was allowed to say that. So he wouldn't try. As he watched his master take his food he looked to Puffy one more time.

"Thank you Captain.. And, perhaps when I am much older.. I would like to join a voyage if you are still going then" he liked her and her crew in the past. And a trip in the late future sounded exciting. But for now he would stay on land, with his master. The Prince was his only priority for now.

He placed his gold back in his bag and hid it well. Before looking to Wilbur smiling. "oh! I have to take you somewhere before dusk falls!" He said giving a bow of respect to Puffy before taking off running out the door. He prayed wilbur followed. He had to see it. He looked to the sun. Judging by the shadows it casted off buildings and trees it was almost setting. Dusk was coming fast, and he wanted to hurry.

Wilbur was glad Tommy didn’t fight him in paying for his own food. The prince didn’t want to take any of his hard earned money, especially because he had plenty of gold to spend on himself. Tommy had saved his life and become one of his only true friends in the palace. A part of him wanted to see the boy as a brother, a part of his family, but another part- one that was more concerned about public image- tried to shun that idea. Either way, he was close to Tommy and didn’t want to take his hard earned money.

Puffy smiles, waving as they head out, “it’s not a problem! Just come see me if you ever wish to take me up on the offer. I would always be willing to take you on any voyage you wish.” She called out. The two quickly found themselves back outside, Wilbur quickly following behind Tommy with his bag of food gripped in his hand, “oh? Where might that be?” He asked, jogging a small bit to keep up.

Tommy led wilbur down the streets of the town and to a thicket of trees and shrubs. Eyes lighting up more as he ran into it, dodging branches hanging down from above and roots below his feet as he did. Jumping or ducking as he went. Never once stumbling over something. He was skilled at this, even if he hadn't done it recently due to life in a palace. The gardens were always well kept so he never had to there and rarely left the walls.

As he went through it changed from thick deep forest to a pathway of stone and dirt. Dry from the hot sun, as leaves fell from the soft breeze. Autumn was here, and he smiled seeing the golden leaves hit the ground.

It wasn't much longer till he reached a clearing, A small cottage stood perfectly in the middle of a small field. No bigger than the training courts of the castle. Tommy stopped seeing it still stood and looked up. The sun was setting and the moon shining. "Just in time" he whispered to the sky above

Wilbur struggled to follow Tommy through the roots and branches, not at all used to anything like this. He was raised at the palace, after all. They never had to run through thick woods, and the last time he had he was a young boy. He remembered running through the evergreen forests nearby, ducking underneath the feathery branches. There was rarely any undergrowth there, though, and he was much smaller then.

Now, he was over six foot tall and in unfamiliar territory. He could barely keep Tommy in his sight as he stumbled through the forest, a bit out of breath. He panted as he noticed tommy starting to slow down.

"Tommy, wha-“ he stopped, taking in the sight. The house was small and charming, the sun bathing the area in pinks and oranges. It was gorgeous. he smiled turning to him.

"Master Wilbur we made it just in time!" he sounded so excited for what was about to happen as he ran to the cottage in the centre and climbed a small side ladder to its roof. He had no fear in doing so as he sat criss crossed on the thatching. The straw roof held his weight perfectly as he looked to the setting sun over the golden leaves of the maple trees. "Look up Sire!" He smiled happily as the stars above began to shine

This was his favourite part about this part of the land. The lovely scenery and skys. Golden leaves against red and pink or crystal white and blue skys with deep coloured nights with bright yellow and white stars in the purple and blue galaxies above.

He leaned back as he began to count the countless stars in the sky.  He loved doing it, as he lost count he smiled. He didn't mind. Without the lanterns that were strewn across the stone and dirt stress of The Capitol one could see them all. he rarely saw them anymore at the castle since there was always lit lanterns around who's light blocked the sky from his eyes at night. And now, without it all, he saw it again.

"Do you see them?" He asked his master without breaking eye contact

Wilbur laughed softly, “just in time for what?” He asked, before jolting in surprise as Tommy climbed up onto the roof. He quickly ran over to follow, albeit a bit more hesitantly. He made sure to check each rung before putting his full weight on it, even if the fall would only likely cause a broken bone or two at most. He hauled himself up onto the roof, sitting down by Tommy.

He furrowed his eyebrows at the request, before obeying. He nearly lost his breath then and there.

Up above them, millions of stars were becoming visible, with the twinge of sunset still on the horizon. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. As time went on, it swiftly got darker and darker, and more details of the galaxy became known. He was never able to see space like this, the bright lights of the capitol city always blocked them. It always snuffed out the natural beauty of it all….

He smiles, “it’s so beautiful.” He responded. “You can actually see the galaxy’s and constellations from here.” He mused, still taking it all in.

He giggled as he reached his hand up, as if to touch the sky with it. He felt a few tears going down his face, as he closed his eyes. "Mama used to tell me of a special story from the stars.. Of villains and heroes" he loved stories growing up. Though with his past, it was hard getting his hands on books. Though it didn't stop him at all. He always managed to learn new ones.

"Up there, is a million untold stories. Forgotten in time." He said with a sigh. "Every star is a story. A hero who fell with glory or a Villain who wants to redeem their story. The bright ones are the ones always told, the ones that are written and spoke to the children in the late evening. The dimmer ones are remembered but not spoken of. And the ones who burn out, are the ones who's stories are lost in time, forgotten by all" he was telling the same story his mother told him years ago.. On that fateful night. "The ones who fall, are the ones who had a final wish. To never be fulfilled again. And so when one wishes on them, they use their final wish to grant those who ask with a Sincere heart. Only then, will their wish be filled" he gave a small laugh as he opened his eyes. "Someday, I want to be the star who falls. Just like my mama. I wanna make people happy. like she did!"

Tommy only wanted to see others smile. As his mother taught him before she passed away. To be kind and gentle to everyone even those who harmed him. He was taught to forgive and forget. To always find a good thing and only see that. Never the bad.

If one was to look enough, they'd see the simple bright star fall. As Tommy told his mothers story to keep it going. A shooting star to grant one last wish.