part 5

Tommy didn't look up, but took the pendant back out and handed it to the prince. Everything he ever loved was now in Wilbur's hand. His heart and soul with it. He had gone through a lot to get it back from Shlatt, and wished to keep it like that. He didn't want to think of handing it over again. Even though many other servants had seen Shlatt forcefully take it, none of them cared. Everyone else was treated kindly but him. The one black sheep in the herd of White he never could fit in.

He kept his eyes fixed on his chain as he took his hand away from Wilbur's giving full trust. He knew he would be replaced easily even if Wilbur's didn't buy his freedom. If his old master knew he took the pendant going back was a death wish. If not dead, he'd be thrown to the streets where he started.

Backing away, he looked around the room. He wanted to change the subject truly he did. But being silent didn't help his case. It wasn't an accidental silence he had. It was on purpose. Any moment he could speak up, and say something. Anything. Yet he held his tongue and remained muted.

The ruby and silver was worth very little, as it was a common metal and gem stone to be found in the land. But no matter its property worth its eternal worth was more than money could buy for the young blonde. He'd do anything to keep it safe.

Wilbur smiled reassuringly, holding the pendant like it was made of thin glass. Like it could break at any second. He studied it for a few minutes, taking note of every detail even if he didn’t have to. He knew Shlatt wouldn’t bother to make sure it was the original, it was just a show of power and control to him. He nodded, gently handing the item back to Tommy with as much care as he could muster. It wouldn’t be difficult to forge or just find a close enough replacement to hand over to Shlatt.

“Thank you, Tommy.” He said gently, before holding the boy’s shoulders. “And don’t worry, ok? If he’s so determined to get you back, I’ll be the immovable object to his unstoppable force. Now,” he moved one hand away to lead Tommy to the door. “Let’s get you situated in your room.”

He led him down the hall, stopping at a simple wooden door amongst a few similar looking ones. He opens the door, showing a simple room. “We can personalize it as we go on..” he hummed, showing tommy his new room.

Tommy had followed him again, down the hall and to the room. As he walked in, his eyes lit up brightly. Was it just his? Or others too? It seemed to be only enough for one to live in, so.. Maybe it was? He gave a small laugh of joy as he ran to the centre and sound around to look at the room in full. Sure it wasn't much, but it was enough. It was like a child in a candy shop and never being there before.

Tommy felt as if he was in the perfect place, and no other place in the universe was as lovely as this one. He had never been offered his own room, commonly sleeping on the stone ground next to grand stoves in the winter to stay warm. Or out in the horse stables of the massive property that Lord Shlatt owned during summer, no get out of the wind and away from storms. Never, in many years, had he been offered a proper bed to sleep in. As he ran his hand down the frame of it, and looked back, his eyes sparkled with life. He didn't need much in life, even if the room was empty he'd be fine. But to see it had some things in it made him very excited.

Without thinking he looked over and ran to Wilbur, wrapping his arms around him tightly, as a hug of gratitude, showing his thankfulness. he hadn't realized what he done until it was to late to undo it, as he shyly moved back and looked up. 'Sorry, I got to excited' he wrote in the leather bound book.

Wilbur was a bit nervous about showing Tommy his room, even if it was by far one of the best quarters they had for servants. Most were deeper in the castle with a couple of bunks and chests, though he still made sure they were comfortable enough. Even so, this room was still pretty small and empty. There was a bed in the corner with a simple bedside table next to it and a chest at the end, a bookshelf and dresser the only other furniture in the room. “Apologies that it is a bit bland.” He said as they first entered the room, before being pleasantly surprised by Tommy’s reaction.

If he was being honest, the excitement the boy was showing was near upsetting due to the implications. He still felt his heart warm at seeing Tommy so excited, though, even if that did imply he didn’t have anything even close to this back with Shlatt. He didn’t even want to imagine what Shlatt put his servants through, just opting to try his best to give Tommy as good of a time here as humanly possible.

Wilbur smiles as Tommy turned towards him, “I’m glad you seem to-“ he startled as the boy embraced him, quickly getting over his surprise and letting out a warm laugh. He hugged back, squeezing Tommy gently before the boy broke the hug. 

He smiled, waving him off. “No need to apologize. This is probably all somewhat new to you..” he paused, “if you don’t mind me asking… what were your living conditions like…?” He asked carefully, looking towards tommy. “You don’t have to tell me, of course. I won’t push you to open up yet, but… some implications have been concerning.“ he continued softly.

Tommy thought of it.. Telling him the truth would be hard and get someone in trouble. But lying wasn't an option for him. He hated lying to people and knew it only led down darker paths that never ended well.  As he knew the truth would come out of him eventually he never bothered lying before, always honest and true to everyone no matter what they were like to him.

Still amazed by the room, that he could now call his own, no matter what was there or how much it lacked, he nodded. He'd tell the older male what his life was like. 'Its nicer here. Back there I slept next to the stove alone in winter on the stone or in the barns with the horses during summer storms. Master Shlatt allowed that, easier to find me when he needed someone'. Since there was only two places he could find comfort to sleep, wether stone inside or hay in a stable, no-one said he couldn't sleep there. 'The others had beds and all, but I know better than ask for more. The horses were friendlier anyways'

Tommy's smile still stayed on his face as he gave Wilbur the book before going and sitting on the bed. Sure, a simple blanket and pillow. But it was marvelous still the same. Looking to Wilbur, his eyes could show it was alright and he didn't hold much against his old master. He knew how much trouble he could cause anyways. And knew soon he would show it, by accident.