part 1

Tommy had been a servant for his master, A Duke of the Kingdom, for about Ten years now, ever since his parents died, the orphan found a life as a lowly servant, having to obey every beck and call of his master or he would suffer A sever consequence. Some times he would go days without food, having to sneak some behind the cooks backs. Knowing if he was caught, he'd be tattled on. No-one really liked him, especially after so many years of mistreatment, he grew silent. Only making noise with what he worked with.

Soon, he gave up. He didn't see a life here anymore, but a prison. So, taking nothing with him. He left under the cover of night, running to wherever his legs could take him. Soon, came morning, and he found himself hiding behind A few bushes of a grand garden. Holding his breath every time he saw someone pass him by.

Wilbur had made a habit of going to the royal gardens almost every morning, staying there or in the library until he was called to his duties. It was calming to go there and practice his songs for the flowers and animals: calming to have some moment of peace before getting dragged to another diplomatic meeting or difficult class to prepare him for his eventual kingship.

It was stressful, to say the least. Having to prepare to lead an entire nation in due time. Luckily, his father would try to rule as long as humanly possible, meaning he wouldn’t take up the throne for years to come. But, that didn’t help to fully calm his nerves.
He walked through the grasses leading to his normal spot in the garden, watching the morning dew glittering in the sun’s light. He looked around at the gorgeous flowers: roses, asters, forget-me-not, and hydrangeas popping out against the greens of the surrounding foliage.

He smiled as he walked past some of the bushes, brushing a hand along some of the thorns and petals. He always found them poetic: the painfully sharp and the delicate mixed into one gorgeous piece. It was one reason why he loved the gardens so much. He paused as he spotted a glimpse of yellow between the gaps of leaves and petals, eyes narrowing as the serene fog shattered. “Hello?” He asked, hand slowly going to the knife sheathed on his belt. “Is someone in there?”

Tommy gasped a bit, seeing someone had noticed him. Shuffling back wards out into view by accident he looked scared. Fear rang in his eyes, as his arms shook behind him. His expression was not one of worry for being found, but one of worry for what he would do, and how to get away scratch free. He never was one good at that.
His lips moved a bit, but no sound came out. He could tell by the clothes The other wore, he was no simple man. But one of great importance. The colours and clothes he wore spoke clearly, he was of royal lineage. Of the royal bloodline and in that sense, a prince of the kingdom.

Tommy starred silently, as he feared the worse. Being poorly dressed and a bit dirty from sitting by the bushes for so long resting his bones from running so long, he knew inside he was seen as a nobody, maybe just a thief or commoner. After all, that what he was.
He looked around carefully for any escape, but guards seemed to be posted every few yards, and at the garden gates. No way could he get out of this one.

Wilbur took a step closer to the boy, brows furrowed. What was a commoner child doing here? The capitol was mostly made of nobles, barons, and baronesses. Anyone who would be dressing like this kid was either homeless, got lucky somehow, was a traveling thief, or was a run away servant.

He studied the boy closely, looking for any sign of malicious intent or weapons. All the prince found was terror in his eyes and body language.
Wilbur crouched down, gripping the boy’s chin in his hand. “What are you doing here?” He asked sharply, before lifting a brow as the blonde tried to speak, but couldn’t. His eyes flashed briefly in realization. “You can’t speak, can you?” He asked slowly, letting go of his chin. That would make questioning this kid a lot more difficult..

He sighed, pinching his forehead. “Crap…” he huffed out, before reaching to his back pocket and pulling out his lyric book and fountain pen. He flipped through to an empty page and handed them both to the boy. “There. Now, answer my question before I call the guards over- something I really should have done as soon as I spotted you. What are you doing in the imperial garden?” He asked again, Hawk-like gaze trained on the blonde
Tommy wasn't sure if he was alright, as he saw the prince touch him, he stiffened until he let go. He wasn't used to being touched, and not harmed.

But, of course the danger wasn't over. As he was handed the book and pen with a question.
Most servants didnt know how to read or write, but Tommy learned in secret, from local boys playing in the streets he learned to write and from books he dusted on shelves he learned to read. So he easily could answer him, but did he want to? Would he be sent back or to the dungeons of the castle for running away?

With a deep breath and low sigh, he began to write, small as not to use to much ink, or take to much paper space, he didn't want to anger him by using more than a page.
'I am Tommy, I ran away from my master because he didn't treat me very well, I am sorry for trespassing the gardens, Dont send me back'

He handed the book and pen back, as he awaited his trial. The trial of wether he would be let go, handed back to them he ran away from, or if the prince some how found compassion. And didn't send him back to the Hades he left. Anything, but there sounded like heaven

Wilbur watched him intently as he wrote, making sure the boy didn’t try to make a run for it. He always held a soft spot for his citizens, especially those who didn’t try and weave words and put on masks for social standing, and would hate for this kid to be hurt. He already seemed scared enough, and it didn’t seem to be just an act to get the prince’s mercy. No, it was definitely genuine fear, Wilbur could tell by this point.

He took back the small notebook, reading over the small lettering quickly. He felt heavy dread sinking into his stomach at the answer.

The fact that the boy had been pushed to run away didn’t sit well with him, especially since it was extremely plausible. He had seen enough nobles and barons who mistreated their servants, and it made rage build up in that little part of him that desired to rebel: That little part of him   That wanted nothing but to run away and spark an uprising. He would never act in it, of course, but he still wouldn’t sit by as someone was mistreated like that.

He nodded slowly. “That bad, huh..?” He asked, glancing up to meet the kid’s, Tommy’s, eyes. Wilbur studied him for another moment, looking for any hint of a lie. When he found none, he stood up and helped Tommy up as well. “I’m not going to snitch on you.” He reassured with a glare leveled onto something in the distance. “I hate those who believe that simple having power means they can step up those who have less. I’m not sending you back, but I also doubt I can just grant you your freedom.” He explained, glancing to the boy with a gentler gaze.