Ensnared

In the afternoon of the next day, you arrived early at the gala, watching as the art inside the museum was replaced by tables and chairs. Eh. Abstract art was pretentious, but it was expensive. Of course rich people would buy it.

They still kept the swan one on the stairs. It was the least pretentious out of all of them, and it looked alright. 

Luckily, they did not turn on those lights yet, so your eyes were safe. Too bad the rest of the museum was covered in shiny, reflective material. The entire room looked like it was gold, with the stage being the brightest, reflecting the sunlight coming from the glass ceiling. 

The time was about 5:47 when the first guests arrived, with gleaming clothes to match the rest of the room. It was most certainly annoying, but you estimated that you were going to be working mostly in darker spaces, so you were fine. 

Sipping a cup of coffee, you exhaled as the cameras in front of you showed the whole museum to you. You'd rather not go down there yourself.

Flicking on the lights, Diane invited the guests in and made conversation with them. This was bad. If one of them was Mr. Wolf, your whole plan would fall apart. If only you could distract Diane...

Maybe that would work. You brought your phone out, calling Diane. "Listen, Diane."

"Hey! Y/N! I didn't see you at the first party."

"I arrived at a different time than you. Just...look, you need to head upstairs."

"Why?"

"Do you want the Golden Dolphin to vanish? Your reputation can't take a hit like that."

"Alright, alright, don't have to threaten me."

"I wasn't threatening you, I was motivating you."

"We can discuss this when I get there."

She sounded a little weirded out, but you were certain she would understand. The instant someone escaped you, your record would be tarnished, forgotten, and the one who escaped would be remembered. You couldn't let that happen, now could you?

You spun in your seat, as the people on the cameras walked around. All of them were wearing suits and dresses. How pretentious. 

A few minutes passed, the only thing happening was the guests arriving. You heard a knock on the door and turned to face the person entering. 

"Diane."

"Why'd you call me up here? I need to make a speech in a second, y'know?"

"Y'know the Bad Guys?"

"Yes."