House Call [☁️ 🛌 ]

This was requested by @eebsie . Thanks for the request and I hope you enjoy it!

--

Your eyes opened wide as a sharp pain circled your left eye. The room was pitch black and you groggily got out of bed. Your head was spinning from the pain, and you reached up to touch your eye. You felt a large lump over your eyelid and decided to head to the bathroom to check it out.

"Ow ow ow!" You quietly whimpered, trying not to wake up your husband as you tiptoed to the bathroom. You shut the door and turned on the light as you leaned over the counter to look in the mirror. Your eye had felt strange for a couple of days. You tried to stifle your small groans as you looked deeply in the mirror to examine the problem.

There was a large, red lump on your eyelid. It was swollen all the way from the inner corner of your eye to halfway across your lid. What in the world? It was excruciating as you gently poked it with your finger, trying to figure out what was happening.

You poked it again and let out a slight yelp. Tears were welling in your eyes and it only took a second for you to start bawling, which made the pain in your eye excruciating. You looked back in the mirror to try and figure out what the strange lump was. 

"(Y/N?)" You heard your husband knock on the bathroom door before opening it and taking in your sorry state. He was in his pajamas and had hastily put on his glasses. His hair was a disheveled mess as he asked, "Sweetie, what's wrong?" You turned to look at him and he saw the strange, red bump on your eyelid. "Oh my."

He rushed over to you and started to examine your eyelid. "It hurts so bad, Harv." You kept crying, which just made the pain worse. "I don't know what the hell is happening!"

"Hey, hey." Your husband rubbed your back as he pulled you in for a tight hug. "It's okay, let me take a look." You sniffled a bit. "Shh, it's okay darling."

You looked up at your husband while he looked over your face. He grabbed his mini medical bag and threw on some blue medical gloves as he started examining your eye. Pain shot through you as he gently prodded your enflamed eyelid. "Owww!"

Harvey flinched when he realized he had caused you pain. "I'm so sorry, sweetie." He kept examining your eye. "The skin is taut and swollen, I know exactly what's happening."

"What?" You asked as you watched him take off the blue gloves and throw them in the trash. 

"You have a stye. It's not a big deal, but they can be very painful." He walked over to your towel rack and grabbed a clean washcloth. You watched as he gently turned on the faucet and rested his hand under the water to check the temperature until it was warm enough. He gently soaked the washcloth in it and rang it out. 

"What's a stye?" You asked as he started to gently hold the warm washcloth against your eye.

The cloth stung a bit, but you could feel the heat was helping. "It's basically a pus-filled boil that forms in the glands of the eyelids. It will go away in a couple of days, but a hot washcloth can help with the pain. Unfortunately, there is no medicine for it, so you just have to wait it out."

"So I have to deal with this for a few days?" You groaned, leaning against your husband. "It hurts so bad, babe."

"I know, I know." He ran his fingers through your hair as he held you close, keeping the washcloth pressed to your eye. "But there's nothing else we can do right now." He kissed the top of your head. "I'm so sorry, my dear."

You couldn't help but keep crying. The pain hurt so bad, but it felt better to be in Harvey's arms. "How did this happen?"

"They can just form sometimes, no rhyme or reason to it." He pulled you back and smiled as he looked into your eyes. "I'm so sorry you're in pain. There was always part of me that wished there was more I could do for my patients than the medicine currently available. Since we've gotten married, however, every time you're under the weather I realize I would give me soul to advance medicine and make you feel better."

"Aww, Harv-"

"I can't tell you how much it hurts me to watch you in pain and not be able to do anything about it." He sniffled. 

You pulled him in tight for a hug. "You do so much for me already. It's the middle of the night and you're holding a hot washcloth to my eye."

"That is a good point." Your husband agreed.  "You're really lucky that I love you so much, normally I'd charge double for a house call like this so late."

"Whatever." You smiled, appreciating that your husband was lightening the mood. "Thanks, babe."

He pulled you back in for a hug as he reached his arms around you to reheat the damp washcloth. "Anything for you." You yawned and turned around so you could lean back against his chest as he brought the cloth back to your eye. "Getting sleepy, darling?"

You nodded as he wrapped his free arm around your waist and rested his hand on your stomach. "I'm exhausted, Harv." 

"Here." He took your hand and led you back to your bed. He crawled in and propped you up on his arm as you laid back comfortably against him. "Just try to go back to sleep, sweetheart. I have you, it's okay." He gently pressed the warm cloth against your eye again, alleviating some of the pain. 

"Are you sure?" You asked as he pulled the thick blankets over top of the two of you. "You need to sleep. You have work in the morning, babe."

"That doesn't matter." He gently leaned down to kiss the top of your head. "This is the most important job, being your husband."

"Aww." You blushed. "I don't deserve you."

He temporarily removed the cloth from your face. You looked up to see him take off his glasses and set them on his nightstand. He looked down at you warmly. "Yes you do." He ran his hand along the side of your face. "In fact, I often ask myself how I managed to get lucky enough to be the one you fell for." He smiled slightly as he set the warm compress back on your eyelid. "Is that making it feel better?"

"Definitely." You smiled. "It's taking away a lot of the pain. I could fall asleep."

Harvey chuckled a little bit. "Well, that's the goal now, isn't it, darling?"

"I guess you're right." You laughed. You were so grateful to have such an amazing husband. You always knew how lucky you were, but it was moments like these that truly reminded you. When you had first moved to Pelican Town, you never could have imagined falling in love with the town doctor and ending up happier than you could have possibly imagined.

You were drifting off to sleep when you heard your husband's quiet snores. You peeked your uncovered eye open to see him asleep above you, leaning against the headboard. You knew that it couldn't be a very comfortable position to sleep in, but he didn't care, he just wanted you to feel comfy. He cared about you so much, you knew he would do anything for you. You closed your eyes again and thought about how lucky you are as you drifted off to sleep.