Morning Misadventure [☁️]

It was a rainy Saturday, the perfect opportunity for you and your husband to have a quiet day, and stay inside the farmhouse. Right now, you were working on getting some breakfast made. You were thinking hashbrowns, eggs, and bacon would do just the trick. You walked over to your refrigerator and grabbed the ingredients. You set to work preparing a skillet, cutting bacon strips, and grating potatoes when your husband walked in.

He hugged you from behind and kissed your cheek. "What are you doing?" He asked as he slyly slid his hands around your waist. They paused there for a moment before continuing to grab the potato and grater you were holding. He took them from you and set them down gently on the counter before grabbing your waist again. "I'm going to make breakfast. You just get to rest and relax, okay honey?" He whispered persuasively into your ear.

"Are you sure?" You asked. While a break sounded nice, Harvey wasn't exactly a good cook. Before you had gotten married and he moved to the farm, his bachelor pad above the clinic contained mostly package ramen and cereal. He was a good bit older than you, and he was continually a little embarrassed by his lack of skills in the culinary department. "It's a little complicated to make."

"It's just breakfast." Harvey smiled. "It shouldn't be too hard."

You shook your head and giggled. "If you say so, dear." Harvey took your hand and guided you to the couch, where he fluffed up some pillows and laid you down, your back resting against the arm of the chair. He hurried over to the chest where you kept blankets and grabbed the biggest, thickest, fluffiest one he could find. He brought it over and tucked you in, leaving you warm on the couch. "Isn't this a little much, Harv?" You smiled as your husband set your pet cat, Pickles, on your lap and turned on your television.

He vigorously shook his head. "Not at all!" He fidgeted with the television, trying to find the channel with the shows you like. "You work so hard to take care of me and the farm every day. Let me return the favor today." He found the channel and hurried to sit down at the end of the couch where your feet ended. Harvey gently set a hand on your blanketed legs. "I worry about you, (Y/N). I don't want you to overwork yourself trying to take care of us. It's so important to rest."

You smiled at his sincerity and concern. "I'm fine. I have to keep working to-"

"I'm serious, (Y/N)." Harvey smiled, but his eyes looked sad. "If something happened to you, it would be my responsibility to heal you. I'm the doctor." He looked away for a second as if he was trying to hide the fact he was tearing up. He looked back at you, and his voice was slightly raspy. "If I ever had to- if I ever lost you, if it was my fault." He shook his head, suddenly back to normal. "I just don't want you getting hurt or worn out, okay?"

"Okay." You agreed. You knew how much Harvey's responsibilities weighed on him and you didn't want to add to that. "Now, get to making breakfast. I'm hungry!" You teased.

"Copy that." Harvey joked as he headed over to the kitchen. You were worried about how his cooking would turn out, but you wanted him to feel like he was taking care of you.

You sat cozily on the couch, petting Pickles the cat and watching the television. Everything seemed to be running smoothly with Harvey in the kitchen. You were enjoying the warmth of the blanket and the entertainment when you started to smell something a little too smoky to be bacon.

"Harv?" You called, watching your husband scramble through the kitchen as he tried to manage everything. There was a thick gray smoke rising from a cast iron griddle on the stovetop. "Is everything okay?"

Harvey looked over at you, sweaty and tired. "Yes, my dear, the bacon might just be a little crispier than normal." You chuckled to yourself as he tried to thin the smoke.

It was only a few seconds later when another strange scent hit you. It smelled like burning plastic and sulfur. You didn't want to bother Harvey again, but you were concerned. You looked around trying to see where the smell was coming from, but it looked somewhat like everything was going wrong. Sulfur smells usually came from eggs cooked wrong, so you decided to start there. "Is everything okay with the eggs?" You asked your devout husband.

"Um, well, er-" He walked back over to the stove, his face growing more concerned by the second. "Scrambled eggs are just water and eggs cooked together, right?"

You could help the small giggle that escaped your lips. "No, uh, it's usually eggs and milk." You shook your head. "You have to whisk them together, then stir them while they cook." Your husband's face grew increasingly more defeated as you kept talking. "I usually add cheese to yours as well, with truffle oil and seasoning. That's the way you like it best." You pointed to your spice cabinet. "Do you want me to come help?"

"No, I got it," Harvey reassured you. "We'll just skip eggs this morning."

"Ok, well I would be more concerned about the bacon than the eggs." The thick smog had returned over the griddle.

"Ah!" Harvey tried to fan the smoke away as he took the bacon off the griddle. After he had dispersed the smoke, he showed you the remaining bacon. Half of the pieces were burnt black, while the others were still raw. You didn't know how he had managed it.

"Maybe just the hashbrowns?" You smiled apologetically as he tossed the destroyed meat into the trash. You turned your attention to the TV again. It seemed like thirty minutes had gone by, and Harvey was being oddly quiet. You looked up at your husband, who grew more disheveled every time you checked on him. "Is everything okay?"

"I think I used a zester instead of the grater." Harvey shook his head and he held up a spoonful of oily, deteriorating potato shavings. "Do you think I can still make it work?"

You couldn't help but fully laugh at this point. "I'm sorry." You wheezed as you continued to laugh at your husband's breakfast failure.

"It's okay." Harvey smiled as he dumped the pan of potatoes in the trash with the disgraceful bacon and eggs. "I need to give you more credit for all the cooking you do. This is quite difficult."

"Thanks." You mumbled, trying to hide the fact that your stomach was starting to growl. "Do you want me to make something now?"

He quickly shooed off your idea. "Now, I already wasted a lot of the food and produce you've grown, let me find something. I got this."

Your faith in your husband continuing to falter, you tried to focus on the television. A few minutes later, you heard him walk over to the couch. "Here." You looked up to see Harvey handing you a bowl of sugary, fruity cereal. He had a matching one for himself. He sat down on the couch next to you and you scooted over to him.

"Soooo..." You teased as you took a bite of the cereal.

"I don't want to talk about it." Harvey mumbled jokingly as he started to eat as well. The two of you enjoyed your replacement breakfast and spend the day lounging in the comfort of your farmhouse. While it wasn't the morning you had planned, it was full of love and excitement with your husband.