Chapter Nine

I looked up and my eyes connected with the brilliant green of Harry's. Only instead of the usual warm glow they held, they were cold and filled with anger; all directed at the massive man in front of me.

"H-Harry? What are you doing here?" I asked him, Harry pulled me tightly against him, my back to his chest, and his eyes flickered briefly down to me before once again focusing on Cookie.

"Sarah called me." He said simply, then gently pushed me behind him and took a step towards Cookie.

"Well, well...if it isn't Harry Styles." Cookie, his voice the direct opposite of warm and friendly, "Nice to see you again, Mr. Styles...Lucas has definitely been curious as to where you've been, and, of course, why you haven't kept in touch..."

"I never said I would." Harry said curtly, glaring at Cookie. Cookie just shrugged, indifferent to Harry's clear display of anger towards him. "What are you doing here, anyway?" Harry asked him, Cookie grinned.

"Oh, just here to pick up something Lucas lost." He replied, his gaze fixing on me. Harry's eyes narrowed and he stepped protectively in front of me.

"Well, you can see quite clearly that nothing here belongs to Lucas." Harry snapped, his eyes locking with Cookie's, and as I watched them both, I felt something settle briefly over the scene that was over my head...something...like somehow Harry wasn't as innocent as he played to be in the whole situation. Like he knew more then he owned up to. Cookie held Harry's heavy gaze evenly for a few seconds, but he soon lost and averted his eyes to land on me.

"Now Harry, let's not make this any harder then it has to be." He said calmly, his eyes once again shifting to Harry's and taking a small step towards us. As he did so, my mind flashed back to the day just less then a week ago, when those same words had been said to me; and I felt a shiver run down my spine. I cowered slightly behind Harry's protective form and fiddled nervously with the back of his shirt.

"I wouldn't even think about it, so how about you just leave." Harry replied sharply, clenching his right fist tightly to his side. Cookie noticed Harry's movements and his eyes flickered briefly to my curly haired protector.

"Alright...alright..." Cookie said, putting his hands up in surrender and taking a slight step back, "No need to get so touchy about it all, Harry." Harry glared at him and opened his mouth to speak, but Cookie cut him off, "Well, if you're so persistent on keeping the bird...there must be something special about her..." He continued, glancing at me, a crafty glimmer in his eyes.

I felt Harry tense, "I don't really appreciate you picking on someone half your size, much less woman..." I felt a small pinch of disappointment at his words, that's all he saw me as? Someone who needed protection and couldn't take care of herself? I shook the feeling quickly though, I mean for real; what was I supposed to expect?!

"That's all?" Cookie's voice brought me from my thoughts and I looked back at him. Harry hesitated a split second, but nodded quickly,

"That's all, and now I'd like you to please leave." He gave Cookie a warning look and gestured to the open door to the back that led out into the alley-way. Cookie smirked,

"Why, without getting my afternoon coffee and a biscuit?" He shook his head in mock disapproval, and his next words quite confused me, "Now Harry...you know how fond I am of my afternoon coff-"

"Yes well today you're not getting your 'afternoon coffee and biscuit'. Today, and right now, you're leaving." Harry cut him off, and before I could further ponder Cookie's odd statement, Harry continued, "Good bye." Cookie's eyes flashed angrily but he quickly regained his cool demur and shrugged.

"Alright, alright...I'm leaving..." He replied, and then added, "Through the proper doors of course." Harry growled, but didn't make any move towards Cookie as he passed, purposely knocking his shoulder roughly against Harry's, "Oh...so sorry..." He said smirking, "Good bye, Harry..." He sent a mock salute Harry's way, and then looked directly at me, "As for you, little birdie...I'll be seeing you later..." He laughed cruelly and then disappeared around the counter and into the main body of the shop.

All the fear I'd been containing inside during the whole Cookie event finally burst out and I felt myself shaking, Harry's strong hands turning me towards him,

"Are you alright?" He asked concern in his eyes. I nodded slowly,

"Yea...I'm fine...thanks for coming..." I glanced up at his tall frame; standing a mere four inches above my own. He smiled and brushed a stray strand of hair from my hair,

"Anytime, love." He replied, I hesitated,

"Um...Harry..." I started, he raised an eyebrow,

"Yea, Astrid?" He asked. I took a deep breath before asking,

"What did Cookie mean when he said, 'You know how fond I am' about his coffee?" Harry's face darkened a bit and he opened his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it, "What did he mean, Harry? Why did he say 'You know'? And when he said Lucas was wondering why you didn't 'keep in touch'...what's going on, Harry?Do you know him?" He bit his lip nervously and tipped my face gently with his forefinger.

"Some things are better left unsaid, you know..." He started, I shook my head.

"Harry...what are you hiding? I'm not a child, you can't just tell me to forget about it. You can't expect me to forget about it! That bloke kidnapped and held me against my will, and when he walks into the shop I work at and talks to you like you're old friends...and acts like you know him...you can't just expect me to forget it! You can't! You just can't!" I didn't realize my voice had been rising until Harry interrupted me,

"Astrid, calm down. I'll tell you later, but not now...not here, okay?" He looked at me, and I looked back into his deep green eyes and sighed.

"I'm sorry, Harry...I'm just...I just..." I sighed and he pulled me close,

"It's okay, don't worry about it...but I want you to come back with me right now." I pulled away and shook my head, I wasn't going to just run off with him each time something happened.

"No Harry, I still have work to do. I can't just run off, I'll be fine." I said, and before he could argue I gave him a look ,"I promise. I'll call you if anything happens, and besides, I don't think Cookie will be coming back so soon." I forced a smile, Harry looked at me unconvinced.

"Astrid..." His tone carried a warning note, but I ignored it and shook my head,

"Harry..." I mimicked, "No. I'm fine, don't worry so much. I'll call you if I need anything...and I'll keep my phone close." I added as he opened his mouth to point out that fact I hadn't called last time.

He sighed,

"Fine...but I'll be close by...and I'm still picking you up." He said, I nodded,

"Alright, thanks, Harry." He smiled slightly and nodded,

"Anytime, Astrid." I returned his smile.

"It's only three more hours here...not that long." I told him, reading the clearly displayed uncertainty on leaving me alone. He sighed,

"Alright...I'll see you then, right?" He asked,

"Right, bye Harry...and thanks again." I replied, he kissed my cheek, sending tingles up and down my body.

"Anytime, love...bye..." Then my protector turned and walked around the counter, to leave out the front doors and I turned back to get prepare the rest of my costumers order.

=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=

A/N:

I wanted to give you guys an update because I promised one! So tell me what you think so far!!

Vote~Comment~Follow.

-xX

Kie

P.S. Dedication to @harryandtherest because your comments never fail to make my day and I love that you're enjoying my story! Thanks, love <333