Page 34

Sam's sticking his comic back at me so I can see a page as we ride in the land rover with our mom to deliver some small present of apologies to her boss, "it says bad mitten not bad gabben Sam," he groans pulling back to his face and pauses before nodding with a grunt, "I see it now," I nod to myself, "any other plans now that you're not heading to work mom?" She shrugs as we come to a stop, "I don't know yet, guess we'll see," I nod as we all look out the window at the property in front of us, our mom pulling up Max's address to make sure it was the right place. "That it?" Looking at it I decided it was sort of nice, a pretty bridge and a nice set of trees, "Yeah. Not bad, huh?" Instead of letting her reach into the back seat for the bottle of wine and the note I grabbed the gift for her and handed it over, "thank you," she sighed, "an apology for running out on Max last night... Actually you should be making this apology." Sam says 'sorry' as she hops out of the car and makes her way towards her boss's house.

I watched as she tried to open the main gate, but it looked like it was locked so she looked back at us and yelled out, "I better leave this on the front porch or someone's just going to take it..." She climbs over a low portion of the fence as we watch, or as I watch, Sam having his nose in his comic reading. I looked away out of the passenger window in the back seat just to look back when barking sounded suddenly, "what the hell?" Our mom drops the wine suddenly as she makes a dash for the gate, yelling our names, "Sam, Willow?!" I finally catch sight of the large snarling, barking dog and we hop out of the car just in time to go rush for her as she starts to climb, "mom!?". The dog grabs onto her dress and we're pulling her over onto us to get her away, "you okay mom?" She seems okay besides scraped knees and a torn skirt but now the dog is barreling into the gate; breaking through. As it rips its way through or starts to do so we all rush up and get back in the car, "mom?" I'm okay, Sam. I'm okay..." I lean back as we peel out quickly and take a deep breath, the adrenaline and fear leaving my body. "Fucking shit..."