Page 22

Our grandpa drove away pretty soon after he left the house in his pickup truck. "I'm making you a sandwich." I see Sam's hand lift towards Michael but Michael isn't in the mood, "Don't bother." Sam looks to me and reaches his hand out giving me his half, "Lose the earring, Michael. It's not happening. It's just not happening." I glanced to my side, "piss off." Sam speaks up again back to back with Michael's words in a chipper sarcastic voice, "You have such a great personality, Michael. You should open your own charm school." Suddenly bright lights beam into the kitchen windows, moving rapidly from one to the next. "What's that?..." I groaned, "how fun, maybe it's your buddies harassing us," He scoffed at me and I rolled my eyes, giving him a sarcastic smile, "shut up Willow."

"Stop acting like Dad and maybe I will," He paused at that and the windows started rumbling, Michael walked off into the living room and I heard loud whisper-like noises before looking at the windows and following Sam into the larger lounging area, headlights flashing across the window curtains. I faintly think I hear engines rumbling outside and my forehead creases in a slight curiosity. It was as if they were rounding around the house on bikes. The whispering grew louder almost like it was saying my name as I walked back towards the kitchen looking at the door, "Don't open it!" I almost didn't register Sam in the other room as he yelled at our brother. The sound of engines rumbling continues from outside as I contemplate opening the door.

"No!!" Sam's yell doesn't stop me from grabbing the handle but his hands do, "Sammy?" I turned to look at him, he was freaked out and so I switched to locking the door instead and I pushed him back before twisting his body around by the shoulders and walking him to the living room. Michael had his hand on the front door and he opened it Sam falling back against my chest. The front yard is empty and Michael doesn't see anything. Cold air rushes into the house and a sound floats across the sky loudly as we move to stand behind our brother. Sam backs away from us holding one of my hands and I knock into Michael's shoulder, "close it.". A low ground fog is the only thing present outside but it's unnerving, Sam and Michael look bewildered, "this is too weird." Michael closes the door and locks it suddenly and he pales looking back at us.

"What was that?" I shook my head, "just some prank, go clean up Sammy." He scrunches his brows up before tsking and walking towards the stairs, his feet stomping up the steps as his large white dog follows him. My head turns back to Michael and I see him swallow.