Page 6

The house's interior was also wooden, truly a large log cabin mansion hybrid. Large, funky leather furniture made out of wood and cushions with native blankets, there were even mounted heads and antlers as well as a large taxidermy cougar near the stone fireplace. I watch as Michael carries in his barbells behind me while Sam struggles with his insanely large collection of comic books. "This is kind of a cool place. Walking forward I set my own box painting supplies down, the cardboard box bulging at its sides. Sam had deadpanned speaking, "I'm so excited I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it." I scoffed, annoyed, "Will you give Mom a break?" Sam follows Michael into the kitchen after Michael says that.

I moved a few more art things into the house, lugging them upstairs into a free room that already had my name hanging from the door with little taxidermy beetles and moths on the small wooden panel. I had tossed the few boxes of clothes I had onto the floor in front of the closet. I had boxes on the bed and one on the nightstand, canvases and paints next to the window. My stand is already up and ready with a fresh canvas ready to use as well. The room was spacious, also wooden furniture but a soft sage color absolutely could use a horde of plants and mushrooms, definitely some moss. I had a thought that if I could make it a small forest maybe our grandfather would gift me a few creatures to pair with the room.

I decided as I walked down the stairs that not only did I favor the old man we'd moved in with but that I also liked it here. I heard Sam in the kitchen speaking or whispering but not well, "Grandpa does not own a T.V. Have you noticed? There's no T.V. Santa Carla has no malls, no Cineplexes and now I won't even have MTV. I will not know anything hip happening anymore." I rolled my eyes reaching the bottom of the stairs, Michael had just set down his barbells after pumping them for good measure. "Hey, Sam, we're flat broke." His retort was annoying and naive, "Even poor people have them."

"Maybe give it a rest till you check the place out good enough, and when pops and mom come inside, shut up about all of it." I gave him a look as they both turned to look at me, my feet taking me to the kitchen, "Yeah, yeah I know," I nodded at them, annoyed that I felt like I had to make an appearance to remind the kid that it's not about him. Michaels head lifted up looking at the ceiling and they ran upstairs in a competition. "My name is on the door so don't even think about it!"

Outside I saw Nanook dashing around quickly about discovering nature, he was indeed a happy dog at the moment. Grandpa was helping mom unload the U-Haul the rest of the way as I stride over. I caught the last of their conversation only by a second, "Thanks for having us, Dad." She hugs him, accidentally pulling on his hair. "Ouch, my hair..." She backs up with a smile and her head shaking, noticing me, "When I dressed like you do now, you threw me out of the house. I used to hate your short hair and your uptight suits... then I went ahead and married one... I went Yuppie and you became a hippie..." I gave her a soft smile as pops didn't know how to reply, "Yeah, well dad just didn't have a worthwhile style, mother, or shall we call him, sperm donor?" I spoke in a mysterious way with a quick pump of my brows and she hushed me, pops laughed throwing his hand to the top of my head, "Hah, Lucy, you're girl has my sense of humor," she visibly let out a playful groan and handed me one of the last boxes, "Well then, I hope she likes it here just as much as you do."

"Watchya talkin 'bout, if you move again I'll have to hide just so I can stay." We walked back up to the porch and they waited with small chatter for me to open the door. I held it open for them and let them walk past before grabbing my box as well and moving to set it in the house. I only just set the box down when I heard Michael, "Oww! You little shit!" I see Sam at the top of the stairs exiting the only seeable door, Michael pursuing him quickly. I watch as they both race down the staircase, Sam calling for help, "Help me, Mom. Help." She's outside as she calls back, "Soon." Sam tears open a pair of old sliding doors and runs into what looked like an old bar. "Oh woah," I was in awe as I walked up behind them, it was like a woodland cottage creepy wonderland. Stuffed animals of all kinds staring down at Sam and I, squirrels, birds, cats, etc. Also, boxes of eyes, pelts, hides, wooden animal forms. In other words, pop's was a taxidermist, and one that created all kinds of taxidermy. Michal dashes in beside us. Both boys staring in wonder. Suddenly a voice from behind us yells, "Rules!" Both boys jump, as I turn to the old man who stands behind us, "Got some rules around here."

We followed after him, then I realized he wasn't even talking to me, he only said boys so I sat at the bar and watched. Grandpa opens the refrigerator revealing a shelf with a cardboard flap on it reading "Old Fart." I smiled when I saw this, "Second shelf is mine... keep my root beers and double-thick Mint Oreo cookies there... Nobody touches the second shelf..." Grandpa closes the door as Michael notices something out the window, as they follow Grandpa back towards the living room. Michael points to a small marijuana crop growing outside, I rolled my eyes, turning and following after the old man, "Any rules for me pop's?" He smiled, patting my shoulder, picking up a piece of mail near the front door, "When the mailman brings the T.V. Guide on Wednesdays, sometimes the corner of the address label will curl up... You'll be tempted to peel it off. Don't. You'll end up rippin' the cover and I don't like that..." I smile nodding as he walked off into the taxidermy room, closing the doors, "And you boys stay outta here."

Same spoke curiously with hope on his face, "You have a T.V.?" The answer he got made him, "No, I just like to read the T.V. Guide. Read the T.V. Guide, you don't need a T.V..." Disappointment, it was clear on Sam's face.