e i g h t e e n

I looked up at the sky, and saw a very bright blue, without a single cloud. The sun pierced through the atmosphere, beaming happily as if it had no clue about what was currently awaiting on earth.

"Hey, dont move." Tara says rushing to Glenn's side. "Here's some water." She gently unscrewed the cap.

"Where are we?" Glenn's voice sounded really hoarse. Tara sighed, "I don't know. We were fighting bites and you passed out right after we left the prison. I didn't know what to do. The back of the truck seemed safer than the side of the road."

Glenn shuffled round trying to sit up. "Hey, hey. Hey." Tara says, in attempts to calm him.

"Did we pass a bus?" Glenn asks worriedly. "O-on the road, did we pass a bus?"

"Yeah."

Glenn got all up in her personal space, "What did you see? What did you see?" Tara paused before responding, "They were all dead."

Glenn's face dropped, "How long since passed it?"

"Three hours."

I whined, and I watched as Glenn moved away from her. He started looking round before turning to the small window separating us from the man Abraham, and his friends. I didn't really know what I thought yet about haircut, but the girl was nice to me, I liked her. Abraham, he seems a bit, I don't like any people who I don't know, and a "I don't give a fuck about my language" guy.

Glenn's knocking on the metal brought me back. "Hey, stop the truck." I would've laughed at Abraham flipping off Glenn if it wasn't for the current situation that we were in.

Tara yells, "Hey, numbnuts, stop the truck." She started pounding her hand on the rusted moving machine, while Glenn picked up his gun. Oh no.

"Stop the truck!" Glenn yells, while slamming the butt of the gun into the glass. He hit it again before shouting, "Stop the truck!"

On his third hit, it started to crack, and he put his gun down, looking satisfied by his results.

The truck slowed to a stop, and Glenn opened the back up, allowing us to get out. I heard the driver door opened, and Abraham and the girl jumped out.

I stayed inside the truck bed, not wanting to leave just yet, just so that if we did go with them I wouldn't have to try jumping a gazillion times before I could actually get back in. Purely because I didn't want to jump from this height, it was pretty darn scary, seen as though I'm a dog.

Glenn grabbed his gun and the orange backpack. I grumbled in annoyance. "What the hell you doing? Where the hell is he going? Look, I don't know what your friend's told you about the special nature of the mission we're on, but this shit is time-sensitive, and we're already way behind."

I leapt forwards, and kept my eyes shut hoping that I wouldn't flat out die from, I don't know, like a spinal injury!?!

I felt the burning pavement reach my paws, and grunted slightly.

The heat burned into my fur and my pads as I reluctantly made my way over to Glenn and Tara. I walked passed the girl, and I felt a hand stroking my head. I stopped and say down for a moment, enjoying the attention I was getting.

"So I need you to turn your ass around and get back in the truck." Abraham says.

Glenn responds with, "I gotta go."

"It seems like neither one of you's been paying close enough attention to the hell on earth we've been living in. So let me tell you how to best winding up just another dead-alive prick. You find some strong, like-minded comrades and you stay stuck together like wet on water. We need people. The more the better. We need each other, partner. Even with all that gear on your shoulder, you won't last a night. Not by yourself." Abraham says, now positioned in front of Glenn blocking his path.