Mending the Heart (James Sirius Potter)

I hinted at this one a while back, (years ago, but we're not going to talk about that). It's also on the longer side of the ones I've written so far at over 14k words, so I hope you like it.

This, as always, is unedited so please look past any mistakes or errors 

Also, mama deer has been having a bad day (a bad few days, I won't lie) so please leave lots of comments. Reading comments makes my day ~~ (And I won't lie, when some of you leave gif reactions, it makes me chuckle)

Anyway, onto the one shot

____________________

At the beginning of the school year, when I'd entered the Prefect's carriage, ready to begin my journey as the Head Girl, I hadn't been impressed by the student chosen to be the Head Boy. How could I be when it was James Sirius Potter who'd grinned back at me with that infuriatingly charming smile? He wasn't the first choice that had sprung into my head, not when I knew he was probably one of the least rule-abiding students in the seventh year. And yet, he was the one Headmistress McGonagall had chosen. Perhaps she hadn't experienced a temporary lapse in judgement as I'd originally thought.

James, it turned out, was good at filling in the areas where I fell short. Of course, I could organise the Prefects rounds and sort out any and all issues that our Headmistress chose to throw our way, but James had an easy manner with the Prefects that I didn't have. He was probably a better leader than I was, being able to convince Prefects to switch last minute rounds for the betterment of the team and supporting them all to overcome any squabbles that might have happened. I might have been the one that found it easier to fulfil the more well known traditional responsibilities of being the Head Girl, but he definitely surpassed me when it came to his capabilities of being a leader.

"Morgan," James said like he knew I was thinking about him. He peered up from the papers he'd been studying. He grinned like he knew he'd caught me admiring him, "Any reason you're staring at me?"

"I wasn't staring," I said, rolling my eyes even as I felt heat rise to my cheeks. Casing a glance around the empty Great Hall, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was just a tad eerie without any other students here. But it was past curfew and they were supposed to be in their common rooms. "I'm trying to sort out these patrol routes."

"I told you," he reminded me, watching as I drew the new patrol routes that I'd proposed towards me. "You sort out the routes and I'll tide over the Prefects and make sure no one kicks up a fuss."

"I still need you to sign off on them." Furrowing my brows contemplatively, I laid the patrol routes side by side to compare them. I was certain that I'd missed a part of the castle and if I had done that, it wouldn't take long for the students to realise and take advantage of that.

"I'll sign off on anything you think is good enough."

Rolling my eyes and preparing to call him out on not wanting to do the work, I trailed off when I realised he was looking at me. He was looking at me in the way he never tried to hide; equal parts admiration and affection. James met my eyes head-on, with no signs of bashfulness and unrepentant. It was always the case and it was just so James. He was always honest, always straightforward and had little reason to hide anything. So why should he hide the way he felt? Why shouldn't he wear his vulnerable heart on his sleeve?

"What?" I managed, my voice coming out soft, despite wanting to put some bark into the word. Somehow, with him, that was always impossible.

"When are you going to let me take you out?" He propped his crossed arms on the tabletop, waiting. Rowena, he really was always all in.