Majora's Mask

(2nd person)*I think*

School is terrible.

Not just school either but the people, homework, and manipulation that falls behind it. Like you need school anyway. You thought it a waste of time.

You think only good part about school is the weekend. Staying up late, videogames, doing whatever you want, for two whole days.

Of course it may not seem like a lot of time to do everything you want, but it was just enough. You didn't need a lot of time anyway. You mostly just stay in my room on my phone, read, or play some videogames.

Plus who needs to go party and have friends anyway...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You set down the notebook you've been writing in for the past half hour. Mom still isn't home, she's been getting home later and later now that she has been getting more patients. (Your mom is a nurse btw😀👍).

You decided to get up and go on a walk around the neighborhood. You grabbed a grey jacket off of your desk chair because it was starting to getting colder outside.

Grabbing your phone you headed out of your bedroom and down the stairs.
Making sure you had your house key you went out the front door, putting your hands in your pockets.

You live in a nicer neighborhood, nicely cut grass, identical houses, but the neighbors are quite rude sometimes. Some girl at my school spread a rumor that one of the neighbors keep killed a guy, and the reason was more absurd than the neighbor, all because the victims dog crapped on the other guys lawn.

Honestly what a waste of time.

You were walking around the corner of your street when you saw something glisten in the corner of your eye. You looked over to see a box that says "FREE" on the front. Peeking out from the box was a game console and game cartridges. The console was weird, same with the controller.

You took one of the cartridges out to see the lable but it was blank. You took out another... blank. And another and another, another, another. All blank, grey cartridges. You pulled out the last one in the box and looked at it.

It wasn't blank. It read Majora..

Majora? As in Majora's Mask?

You wondered if it still worked. You picked up all of the black cartridges and put them back into the box, along with the Majora one.

Maybe this weekend won't be so boring after all. Maybe... If the game still worked. This thing looked decades old.

Picking up the box, you started to walk home. Seeing that the sun was going down, you quickened your pace. Making sure to get home before dark.

You wouldn't say that you hated the dark, but you did have a nagging fear of what could be in it.

Soon enough you were back on your front door. You grabbed your key from in your pocket with one hand, box in the other. Opening the door then shutting it behind you. You set your keys on the table along with the box.

Your stomach grumbled at its own emptiness. Making your way to the kitchen you explore the cupboards for something to eat. Kale chips, rice, canned food, ramen.

After you spot the ramen you grab a bowl and fork. Being you, your too lazy to heat up water. Using a pot would result in unnecessary dirty dishes anyway. Win. Win.

You put water and ramen into the bowl, setting it in the microwave.

Crash. You jumped a bit, looking over to see what made the obnoxious noise.

The box. It was lying on the floor with everything spilt out. Of course, creepy shit has to start happening.

You shut the microwave and push the start button. You walked over to the mess, kneeling down to pick it up. You set the box up-right. Starting to put the contents of the box in it's former home.

The console,
The controller,
The blank cartridges,
And Majora's Mask..

it was gone.

But how? Where?

You look back at the blank ones to see if you might have put it away without knowing but, Nothing.

"Strange.." you say, feeling a bit disappointed. You put everything back into the box.

You put the box back onto the table. Making sure that it wasn't near the edge.

Beep, beep, beep. The food was ready at least...

You headed over to the microwave, pulling it open. You were about to grab the bowl before you noticed you should wear oven mitts.

You grabbed them out of the cabinet, placing them on your hands. You carefully grabbed the hot bowl of noodles, placing it gently onto the countertop.

Grabbing the seasoning packet, you emptied it into the bowl, stirring it with the fork.

You were about to take a bite when you noticed...

The box was gone.

You went over to where it was before, there was a note.

In sloppy letters read :
I can't get rid of him.

Was this some kind of sick joke? You stuffed the paper into your pocket. I guess curiosity kills the cat, because you started looking for the box. You checked everywhere the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, living room, Mom's room. Everywhere.. except the place you had dreaded to look.

Your very own room, what was supposed to be a safe space. A place where you could do your own thing, and not have to worry about others violating it.

It had to be there, you bolted up the stairs and to your bedroom door. All the sudden you were kind of scared. Your hand hovered over the door handle longing to open it. The deathly feeling of wanting to know what's on the other side but not wanting to see for your self.

You grabbed the handle, slowly turning the knob, pushing lightly on the door. The door creaked as it was being pushed aside. You peaked through the crack in the door.

There it was, the console, the controller, the game cartridge, but no box in sight. The blank ones were gone too.

The console was already connected to the television, actually it was all set up, ready to go.

The only missing piece was the game, Majora's mask sitting inches away from the console, begging to be played.

You walked over to the game picking it up, you flipped it over and looked at the front again. Majora..

You turned on the console, grabbing the remote. With a deep breath you grabbed the cartridge and clicked it into place.

It was quiet, for at least ten seconds nothing happened.

Suddenly ear-bleeding static noises came from the T.V. You dropped the controller and put your hands over your ears.

But the noise had stopped just as it had begun.

A voice came from the T.V., as if it were speaking to you.

"You shouldn't have done that"...

Written 6-14-22