V

──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────

EAVESDROPPING

──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────

WHEN SHOTO WAS younger, he'd get these strange leg pains. It didn't matter whether he trained or sat cooped in his room all day. It felt like his bones were ripping through his muscles, trying to escape their confines.

"I get those all the time!" Kid exclaimed. The validation made Shoto sigh in relief. "My father says I'm just growing."

What Shoto couldn't put into words, Kid could. Enji and Rei never properly taught Shoto how to communicate, so the reaper's outgoing charisma created a bond not even the gods could destroy.

"Why does growing hurt so badly?" the Hero whined, rubbing his legs.

"Do this," Kid instructed, straightening his legs and reaching to touch his toes. When Shoto did as the Shinigami told him, he noticed a faint pain in the back of his thighs. Wasn't this supposed to help? It seemed to be creating more pain...

The two were playing outside in a large field, the field Kid seemingly brought him to every time. There were blood-red, spider-looking flowers dancing with the wind. Sometimes, these same flowers would grow around his house before his mother picked them, claiming they were "stealing blood from the dead." Even though his mother claimed they were a "bad omen," Shoto thought they were beautiful. They were his favorite flowers.

As memories of his mother picking the red flowers flooded his mind, another memory of his father standing by them appeared. Every time his father hit him, his mother would make him wear long sleeves or pants to cover up the marks, even when it was hot outside. Shoto never understood why she covered up his bruises or scrapes. If all fathers did that to their kids, why would it matter if others saw it? He was just training.

Did all fathers do that to their kids?

Shoto turned to Kid, who was gazing at the red spider flowers. Peace softened his typically sharpened facial features in an alluring stare, a tranquil look Shoto enjoyed seeing on him. Would it ruin the moment if he asked such a question? Would he get in trouble?

Did Shoto care?

"Is your dad nice to you?"

The black-haired boy turned to him, his expression morphing into one Shoto couldn't read. "Huh?"

Not being able to read his friend's countenance made Shoto's heart race with anxiety. He became good at deciphering feelings of anger in others, but he lacked in other sentiments. What if his friend told his mother or father what he said? Suddenly, the Hero's head felt light, like he was going to faint.

"I didn't mean that," he sputtered, trying to backtrack his previous statement. "My dad would kill me if he knew I told you. Promise you won't say anything!"

Kid reached out his hand with his small pinky sticking out for the other to interlock. Shoto, who didn't understand the gesture, offered him a confused expression.

"Pinky promise," Kid explained, although it sounded more like a statement. "It means I'll never tell anyone, ever."

The boulder of hesitance left Shoto's shoulders as he interlocked pinkies with the reaper. He didn't know how that gesture swore someone to secrecy, but he was used to giving Kid the benefit of the doubt.