II (rewritten)

──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────

HAUNTED

──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────

UA HIGH HAS been an ally of Shibusen for years. Although they didn't share lesson plans, the students and Heros were aware of Death's List and the consequences of crossing the god. Since UA had become a reliable international partner, Death agreed to start hosting interns.

Even though Death was the one who agreed to scout interns, he delegated the task to Kid. The younger quickly began researching the school and the people who went to it to try and find someone worthy of coaching. He found the more he studied, the more questions he had.

The term "Quirk" was new. Kid discovered the word was used to describe a person's extraordinary ability but couldn't understand exactly what it was. Did he have a Quirk? Was being a Weapon considered a Quirk? If someone had a Quirk, would their soul be different than someone who was Quirkless? His obsessive mind buzzed with inquiries he would pester his father about later.

Though, these Quirked individuals reminded him terribly of Witches. Was this a new Witch Order? Maybe this was a unique Witch-human hybrid Death needed to involve himself with. Kid's father didn't seem concerned, though. He didn't share any of Kid's distress. The younger wondered how his father could walk through life so frivolously.

While burying himself in research, Kid came across UA's annual Sports Festival. He clicked on the live stream to see an arena circling a large platform. Students of all grades participated, though the attention was on the First Year Stage. Although the reaper desired an older student, he decided he shouldn't discriminate by age and give the younger students a fair opportunity. Age means little to ability.

"And Shoto Todoroki takes the lead by freezing his opponents to the ground!"

Kid's laptop showed a familiar, duo-colored hair boy sprinting ahead of his frozen opponents. When the camera showed clear footage of the boy's face, Kid's heart dropped to his feet.

He's alive.

He knew those large, heterochromatic eyes from anywhere. He'd know them in any life. His chest heaved in panic as the reaper leaned toward the screen, trying to get a better look at what was already clear to him. Shoto's bambi eyes took him back to that day eleven years ago.

Shoto's tiny, frail body staggered as he walked toward Kid, his legs vigorously shaking beneath him. His physical form was giving out before the reaper's eyes. Shoto fell to his knees, pleading with the Death God to free him of the shackles of pain-- to take him before he was struck again. He coughed and choked on his sobs, his chest heaving with every labored breath.

His face was devoid of life, painted in Death's purples and blues. Dark, spider-leg veins wrapped his body like wire, the colors fading into his protruding, violet bruises. Shoto was ghost white, the same shade as the bones that stuck out of his elastic skin. His gaze of sorrow was haunting, promising to be with Kid in every walk of life, during every moment of every day. Shoto would stick to him like a fake friend, silently praying for his downfall and ready to expose him as soon as it came.

Ready to expose to the world how much of a monster Kid was.

Kid gasped as he pulled himself from his flashback. He frantically looked around as if Death had just knocked on his door. The Shinigami's heartbeat echoed in his ears and veins, his entire body seemingly jolting to its rhythm. The frigid hands of panic ripped the color from Kid's face as he returned his eyes to the screen.