Returning to Anatol

The sorcerer awoke disoriented, the tranquility of his library shattered by Rodrigo's abrupt entrance. The urgency in Rodrigo's voice echoed through the air, cutting through the stillness.

"Mage Ruth! There you are! A man claiming to be a Livadonian Noble is at our gates with his knights!"

Ruth, shaken from his slumber, felt a wave of concern wash over him. The absence of the Lord of Anatol, Sir Riftan, and the Remdragon knights, who were still reveling in the capital's victory celebration, left a vulnerability that weighed heavily on his mind.

With a deep frown, Ruth considered the limited manpower available for defense – essentially only himself and Sir Obaron. The realization tightened his jaw, a foreboding sense creeping over him.

As he hastily prepared to depart, summoning Maximilian Calypse, the Lady of the Castle, anxiety clung to the atmosphere. The urgency of the situation became palpable as they approached the gates on horseback.

"It's suspicious they're visiting us precisely when our Lord is away," Ruth remarked, the unease evident in his voice. "Dealing with genuine knights won't be an easy task."

Sir Obaron growled in agreement, "Even a low-ranking knight is worth ten sentries after all."

"Things worsen if this man is indeed a Lord from Livadon," Ruth muttered grimly. "Refusing entry might provoke armed conflict."

Observing Maximilian, the Lady of the Castle, Ruth detected an air of nervousness and almost anxiety. Clearly unaccustomed to such matters, her previous life at Croyso Castle had likely been comfortable. However, as Anatol's Lady of Calypse Castle, the weight of responsibilities now rested squarely on her shoulders.

„WE CANNOT OPEN THE GATES UNLESS YOU SHOW US YOUR IDENTIFICATION!", the guard yelled when they finally arrived at the gates. In front of the castle stood 30 armed men. Their leader yelled back: „I TOLD YOU ALREADY! I LOST THEM! Your duty is to welcome your guests and treat them with respect!"

Ruth and Maxi stepped forward and approached the gates. Standing on top of the strong walls of Calypse Castle they stared down at the intruders. „Are you the Lord of Anatol?", asked the leader. Ruth shook his head: „I am a mere servant.", then he turned to Maxi: „My lady..."

Maxi slowly made her way next to Ruth. She looked terrified.

The intruder smirked: „It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm sure you've been informed. I am Rob Midahas, Lord of Kaysa, Livadon. I come to befriend the knights after hearing about their victory over the dragon. I hope you'll welcome me in!"

Maxi swallowed her fear down and gathered all her courage: „I-i heard... you h-have nothing to p-proof your i-identity. I c-cannot allow... unidentified individuals t-to enter!"

„We lost them on our journey here. Your cleric can confirm immediately once you let me in."

„A-anatol does not welcome unidentified g-guests. Th-this is our l-lords command. And we cannot d-defy his o-orders. C-come back when you have new I-identifications."

„HA! I can't understand a word you're saying! Let me speak to someone who can talk properly!", Rob Midahas grinned devilishly. Those words took Maxi aback. She flushed badly and started to tremble.

„You're speaking to the Lady of Anatol! Mind your manners!", Ruth interfered.

„I only spoke the truth, I cannot understand her!", the intruder kept on teasing.

Maxi took a deep breath: „A-as I said, c-come back w-when you have y-your identifications w-with you! I w-will not open the g-gates!"

„We passed through monster lairs to get here! And you want us, weary travelers, to turn back without any rest?!", they weren't giving up that easily: „Is the Lady of Anatol so uncharitable?! I will return with hundreds of knights if you deny me entry now. I won't forget this insult!"