CHAPTER 14

(Irene's POV)

(DINNER AT THE PALACE)

I am facing Lieutenant Elizalde while eating. On my left is my brother and on my right is my sister. I can't help but stare at his handsome face and sparkling brown eyes. 

"Gwapo?" my sister whispered to my ears causing me slightly flinch.

"Very" I simply answered in a low tone.

He and dad are talking about the army, what they have been through, trainings and the like. After dinner, it's time for entertainment. We all went to the garden, dad wanted to feel the cold breeze pass by. We can't do anything but agree.

It is a must for a Marcos event to have music. Mom and dad were the ones to first dance. I am four seats apart from Jessie to my left. They are dancing easily as if they are floating. They both invited us to join them. Jessie's parents went and so did ate Imee and kuya Tommy. The only one left sitting are Lieutenant Elizalde, my brother, and I. We are all staring at them.

"Ano ba naman tong mga kasama ko, kalalaking tao walang nag-aaya saking sumayaw." I whispered but apparently, Bonget heard it.

Bong: "Lieutenant, do you mind dancing with my sister?" He shouted just for Jessie to hear.

"Bonget! Ano ba?".

Bong: "Anong ano ba? Gusto mo din naman." He said with a smile on his face.

Jessie approached and offered his right hand while placing his left hand on his back. I placed my hand on his without any word coming out of his mouth. "Parang napipilitan lang to." I thought. 

We walked towards the dance floor while I am holding his hands. He placed the side of the back of his right hand on my waist while holding my hand with his left hand. "Ang formal naman ng taong toh. Yung iba kong nakakasayaw, kulang nalang ibaba nila yung kamay nila sa pwet ko tapos eto naman parang nadidiri sa akin." I thought. 

We are just swaying, no words uttered. "Where will you be assigned?" I asked to break the silence. 

Jessie: "Somewhere in Mindanao Ma'am" he said with a smile.

"You are too formal, do you know that?" I said as I spin.

Jessie: "I have to be. I an dancing the daughter of the President. Basically, I am dancing the daughter of my boss." He said and sighed. "What is it like living in the Palace?" 

Talagang unang tanong palang, tungkol na sa palasyo.

"Ummm...it depends on what day." 

Jessie: "The three of you are lucky, you didn't feel any pain nor hardships." 

I am startled by his statement. 

"Well, for me it's true I didn't but who knows? Maybe it will begin tomorrow."

Jessie: "Surely it wouldn't". He said as the music stops ending the dance. 

He leads me back to my seat still holding my hand but looking away from me. I took a seat as he stood next to his father. He mouthed "Dad, we should go." and his father nodded. He walks towards my father and bowed head and said "I am sorry Mr. President but we have to go." My father stood up. They shook hands.

Ferdinand: "It's good that you came. I hope I can see you again after the war in Mindanao." 

"War?" I asked.

Ferdinand: "Yes Irene. There is battle between the communists and the government in Mindanao as of the moment. Lieutenant Elizalde will be going there tomorrow afternoon."

Jessie: "Hopefully the mission will be accomplished sir." he said as my father placed his hand on Jessie's shoulder. He saluted my father and left.

Ferdinand: "It's hard being a soldier. You never know when you will see your loved one's alive." He said looking at the back of Jessie fading away. 

"Will I ever see you again?" I thought.

 "Hopefully"