CHAPTER 4

(Jessie's POV)

Jessie: She's fine. She just has trouble sleeping.

John: Does she know?

Jessie: About what?
I said while pouring whiskey into the glass.

John:  You know what I'm talking about. You're not good at lying. It's too obvious that you didn't go to Cebu for a meeting with other officials.

Jessie: Does she know what? That I have a family aside from her? Or that fact that she is the only biological granddaughter of Macoy?
I said before drinking the full glass of whiskey.

John: Both.
He said plainly.

Jessie: If she knows, she wouldn't talk nor even make eye contact with me.
I said leaning my back to the couch.

John: Do you plan on telling her both?

Jessie: No. As far as I know, I am the only reason why she is moving forward, and besides, Irene hasn't contacted me since the day we ended everything. Why on earth would I even talk to her again?. And one more thing, Irene and Greggy bought a daughter, she really did forget about Jasmine, what's the point of making a connection between the two of them?

John: Jessie, just promise me that Jasmine will be the heir of my company and not Julia.

Jessie: Of course pa, she will always be.

John: Okay then, that's it for today, you've been through a lot. Let's sleep.
Sabi niya at tumayo papunta sa taas.

Kahit pagod ako, hindi ko parin maiwasang maalala ang nakaraan.

"You can't marry her! You're not rich enough!"

"She will be marrying a man who is richer than you!"

"Maybe we're just not meant to be together. I'm sorry."

"Maybe, I hope you will be happy with the person the president wants you to marry".

Helen: Jess!!!
Napatigil naman ako sa pagalala ng naraan. Kulang naman talaga sampal sampalin ako ni mama para matauhan ako.

Jessie: Ma?

Helen: Kilala ko kung sinong iniisip mo.

Jessie: Sino?

Helen: Ano ba. Iisang tao lang naman ang nagpapatulala sayo. Si Irene.

Jessie: Ma, mahirap makalimot.
After what I said, she sat next to me holding a cup of warm water. Siguro yun ung dahilan bat siya bumaba.

Helen: Sino ba kasing nagsabing makakalimutan mo ung nakaraan? Depende nalang kung nagka-amnesia ka.

Jessie: Ma naman, nageemote yung tao, tapos magpapatawa ka.

Helen: Sinasabi ko lang, hindi makakalimot ang isang tao ng mga bagay na nangyari sa kanya noon masaya man o malungkot.  One can't forget the past, but one can only shape the future.

Jessie: Talaga bang mataas ang standard ni Macoy? Ma, mayaman naman tayo ah. Papa was the first to ever build a real estate company.
I protested, kasi talagang hindi ko na matago ang gakit ko.

Helen: Anak, he was the president. He wanted the best for her daughter. Ayaw niyang matulad si Irene kagaya ni Imee at Tommy.
She said plainly while drinking water.

Hindi ko na kayang mag-isip ngayong araw.

Jessie: Ma, I'll go to sleep.
I said, and kissed her cheeks.