Chapter 2.3

The alarm on Ryan's nightstand started playing music waking her up halfway through Queen's "Somebody to Love

The alarm on Ryan's nightstand started playing music waking her up halfway through Queen's "Somebody to Love." Ryan rolled over to slam the off button on the alarm clock, not moving to get out of bed while Steve groaned, throwing a pillow over his head. "What if we just don't go in today?"

Ryan sighed, just imagining what would happen if they stayed home all day instead of going to work. "Robin knows where I live therefore, knows where you live."

"You're the manager," He said, his voice muffled through the pillow. "You can fire her."

"I can fire you too."

Out of Steve and Robin, the only other employees at Scoops Ahoy, Ryan was the one that had the most job experience, which is how she ended up as the manager. It wasn't that much different than babysitting the kids when they were younger. She made schedules, made sure everyone was on task— it wasn't as hard as she thought it would be, just time consuming.

"Why am I sleeping with the manager if I'm not getting anything good out of it?" He whined, the pillow still on his face. Ryan sat up straight, looking down at her boyfriend as he lifted the pillow off of his face to flash a tired, innocent smile. "I mean, I love you."

"Yeah, yeah." She grabbed the pillow, covering his face again. "Suck up."

Ryan threw off the covers, heading over to the closet to get ready for work. Steve sighed, sitting up right as she tossed him his hat. The minute her hand touched the hanger of her uniform, Steve's hat hit the back of her head. She whirled around, picking the hat off the floor, "Babe, you've got to wear the hat."

"I hate that damn hat." He said, rolling his eyes. "It's the stupidest part of the uniform. Why are we wearing hats? Why?"

Ryan threw the hat back at him as she started to change into her own uniform, "Because we're supposed to be sailors."

"Not every sailor wears a hat, there's no way."

"How would you know?" She snorted, adjusting her vest. "You're not a sailor."

"Neither are you."

Ryan tossed his uniform on the bed, "Get dressed, Batboy. Axel's supposed to be getting in today."

"Where is he even staying?" Steve asked while she pulled on her shorts. "With Billy?"

"Hell no." She scoffed, searching for her shoes. "He hates Neil remember? He's staying with Jonathan."

"Ah, well—" He nodded, voice trailing off before speaking up again. "It's still so weird to think that he's Billy's cousin. I mean, Axel Scott is related to Billy Hargrove. It's—"