Chapter 6.2

Ryan sat on the bleachers of the gym during her free period, reading her book as the boys ran past her playing basketball

Ryan sat on the bleachers of the gym during her free period, reading her book as the boys ran past her playing basketball. She originally thought that she wouldn't have to be in the gym for anything other than the mandatory pep rallies during her senior year, but then Steve had made the basketball team again. Now, she spent every third period in the bleachers as he practiced alongside Tommy H and the rest of the team. She actually didn't mind it.

She flipped the page, just as Tommy called her name, "Red!"

"Freckles!" Ryan grinned, sitting up straight, book laying limp in her hands as he jogged up to her spot in the bleachers.

"Why are you reading?" He exclaimed with a laugh, taking the book out of her hands. "Watch the game!" However, it didn't stop him from reading the first thing on the page aloud:

Are people this unhappy when they're in love?
Yes, when they're in love and aren't sure of being loved.

"Shit, Ryan." He whistled lowly, handing the book back to her. "That's heavy."

"It's The Phantom of the Opera Tommy," She laughed, hitting his arm with the paperback. "It's not supposed to be light and breezy." In fact, she was about to highlight the part he had just read aloud. It was a beautiful quote.

"Well, put it up for now and watch the game!" He whined with a pout as the boys ran behind him, warming up for the practice game. "Cheer me on!"

"What game? You're all on the same team, playing against one another." Ryan pointed out, rolling her eyes at the absurdity. "Besides, you have Steve on your team, I think you're good."

The locker room door opened as Billy walked out, dressed only in gym shorts. He immediately stole the ball from Jensen Cooper, one of the boys on Steve and Tommy's team, shooting a three point basket. He flashed his signature smirk as he ran past her and Tommy, bouncing the ball as he went.

"Get back on the court, Thomas." Ryan said, seeing Steve clap his hands together as he called out for the ball. There was no way she was going to watch Billy Hargrove beat her boys. She'd sooner get on the court herself to make sure that didn't ever happen. "If you get back on the court, I'll cheer you on. I promise."

"Oh really?" Tommy clapped his hands loudly. "'Tommy, Tommy, he's my man, if he can't do, it no one can!' Like that?"

Ryan raised her eyebrows as she burst out into uncontrollable laughter, "That was so stupid!"

"Oh, but it made you laugh." He grinned.

*•*•*

Steve kept a close eye on Ryan and Tommy, narrowing his eyes as Ryan let out a loud laugh at something Tommy said. There was no way he was that funny. It made him want to scream.