Chapter 3

The week had finally come to an end and Ryan was using her free Saturday off to sit in her window seat, reading a book

The week had finally come to an end and Ryan was using her free Saturday off to sit in her window seat, reading a book. In a few hours, her and her brothers would be heading to Hopper's house for a movie night and to spend Sunday cooking up random food in the kitchen and on the grill. The last time they had a day like that, they'd managed to have a kitchen full of burgers, spaghetti, hot dogs, and pancakes.

Usually, Ryan spent her Saturdays with Axel, Jonathan, the kids, or all three. This Saturday however, she wanted some time to herself. She flipped through The Great Gatsby, a book she had read a hundred times, reading it like it was her first time, like she didn't have notes and doodles in the margins.

She was just about to finish a chapter when Aaron threw open her door, "I'm bored."

"Geez, do you ever knock?" Ryan hissed, holding her book to her chest as she glared at her older brother. "I could have been changing."

"Yeah, but you weren't. Your window is wide open." She continued to glare at him in the hopes that he'd get the hint and leave her alone. Of course, he did not. "Nice weather we're having right?"

"Aaron," She started, closing her book. "What do you want other than to drive me crazy?"

Aaron didn't reply right away, walking around her room, searching through her records and books before leaning against her desk, "Let's go get something to eat."

"Aren't you supposed to be learning how to cook?" Ryan raised an eyebrow. For the past few years, Aaron had usually left the cooking for Peter to do as he was extraordinarily bad at it. However, over the summer, he had started following Benny around whenever Ryan was at work, learning from one of the best cooks in town. Then, he started doing. His cooking wasn't as bad as it used to be, but he was still learning. "How are you ever going to learn if we keep going out?"

"It's Saturday. We'll be cooking all day tomorrow." He whined. "Let me just have this day."

"Fine." She sighed, shooing him out of the room so she could search for her shoes. "We can go to Benny's and use my employee's discount. Just give me a minute."

"We're taking your car." He said, grabbing the keys off her desk.

Ryan pouted, "Why can't we take the motorcycle?"

"Because I want to take the car."

"What's the point in having a motorcycle if you aren't gonna drive it?"

"What's the point of having the car if we don't use that?"

"It's mine!" She exclaimed. "That's the point!"

"Hurry up, I'm starving."

"The more you rush me," She stopped, crossing her arms. "The longer I'm gonna take. Get out."

Aaron rolled his eyes, but begrudgingly left the room as Ryan resumed the search for her shoes. She sat down to put them on when a flash of light caught her attention. She looked up, only for the light to flash again. She followed the path, groaning internally when she saw the light coming from Steve's window where he stood with a flashlight in hand, laughing as he flashed the light off and on.