Chapter Six

Taylor stared at Samuel. "Are you delusional?!"

Samuel held up his right hand, his eyes suddenly fixed on Taylor's ceiling fan. Taylor saw a bright, white ray of light extend from Samuel's hand and reach the decorative cover over the bulb. Taylor heard the ting of the bulb as her room was flooded with light. The blades on her fan were also running at full speed. The white light disappeared as Samuel closed his hand and returned it to his side. He looked back over at Taylor, her eyes still fixed on the the ceiling fan.

Taylor looked back over at Samuel. "How did you do that?"

"Ask me not how, but why, I did that," He told her.

"OK. Why?"

"To show you I am serious. To provide you a preview of your own abilities."

"So you say that I'm half-angel?" Taylor folded her arms.

"That's correct."

"And my father is an angel like you, while I assume my mother is very much a human?"

"That is also correct."

Taylor questioned the dating experience her mother must have had. Taylor didn't get a pleasant vibe from Samuel. Was her father just as charming?

"You have an important calling as a half-angel. You live among many mortals, and there are some that need protection from a guardian such as yourself," Samuel advised her.

"Wait... are you trying to suggest that I am a guardian angel?" Taylor asked him.

"Yes, you serve as a guardian to the physical embodiment of humanity."

"But I thought angels were in heaven?"

"Heaven does not exist in the way that is taught by popular religious rhetoric. But there are full-blooded angels, such as your father and myself, that are the guardians of souls."

Taylor had never viewed herself as someone with the capacity to be able to guard anyone. Even though she had overcome so much in her life and often cared about the well-being of others, she had never regarded herself as anything close to a warrior—or angel, for that matter.

"What's the difference between guarding souls and guarding actual people? Why the need for guarding people when you guard their souls?"

"Taylor, guarding departed souls against evil spirits, sorcery, and all those who want to harness the power of the soul is a separate thing entirely. We need guardians here to protect those who have a distinct purpose in the natural order to protect the human race."

"How do I do that? I'm just... me."

"You are much more powerful than you've allowed yourself to see. And you will learn more about your assignment as we stay in contact."

"Can you possibly pick a different time of the day?"

"These meetings are pre-determined. I will appear when I appear."

"Fine. I guess we're on your schedule, then."

"That's correct."

"Are you at least going to tell me more about my mother and father and how I got here?"

"Yes, this will also be revealed to you in time. I must depart," Samuel said to Taylor.

Taylor turned her head back to where Samuel was standing, but he was already gone. Her ceiling fan and its light quickly lost power, and her room was blanketed in darkness once again. Her window was also now closed.

Well, good night to you too, then.

Taylor immersed herself into her bed once again, beneath the soft sheets and comforter. From under the covers, she took the nails of her index finger and her thumb, grabbed a chunk of skin on her left arm, and squeezed. Ouch! OK, it happened. Satisfied with her test of reality and that she, in fact, did not belong in an insane asylum, she was confronted with even more questions than she had answers for.