prologue

i enter the ceremony with a ping of sadness, but also relief. flight school is finally done. thankfully. although, it rips me to shreds to leave my closest friends. as we'll part ways to go to separate squadrons.

"y/n!" the blonde i've grown close with, sam, approaches me, a smile on her face.

"sam!" i call out, arms open for an embrace.

we connect, laughing in the sorrow of acknowledging this might be the last time we see each other for quite some time. we don't pull away, both trying to hide our true emotions.

"this won't be the last time we're together, y/n. don't fret." she assures, pulling away just enough to look at me in my eyes. i crack a small grin, pushing away the tears that begin to fill my eyes.

"i believe you." i reply, wiping a small tear from my eye. a throat clears, which makes sam nudge to see who's behind me. i turn my head to see pete mitchell, standing with his arms crossed. i chuckle lightly, pulling away from sam.

"don't tell me you're crying like a baby." pete says, looking at me. i shake my head, scoffing. "that's all you, mitchell." we both hug tightly, putting our heads in the crooks of each others neck.

"you're gonna go off somewhere crazy, pete. go places and do some crazy shit." i say, my voice muffled as i continue to hug him tighter.

he chuckles a little bit before replying.

"you too, y/n. don't forget me."