thirteen

the house, the next morning

shock.

shock may result from trauma, heatstroke, blood loss, an allergic reaction, severe infection, poisoning, severe burns or other causes.

this case, it's other causes.

maverick saw that kiss. we haven't even shared a moment like that since the fire. but yet i seemed to fling myself at iceman.

i'm dizzy, confused and dehydrated. the sight kept me up all night; just the vision of maverick with a tense look on his face, watching the whole scene play out.

i didn't mean to hurt him, hell i hope i didn't hurt him. i don't even know my own feelings for iceman. but maverick i'm sure about.

or am i?

am i going to have to rethink everything now?

a soft knock at my door brings me out of my trance. it opens slightly, sam standing with a concerning grin on her face.

"hey, i haven't seen you all morning. you skipped our ritual, are you alright?" she asks, holding a mug in her two hands.

i mentally facepalm myself. it's saturday, which means me and sam usually sit on the porch of our humble abode, drink coffee, and enjoy our one morning of doing nothing. but of course, my lack of sleep last night caused me to sleep in. sam hutchins has known me for too long to not tell when something is up.

i shake my head, a smile creeping on my face before speaking.

"of course, i'm fine. just had a rough night last night."

sam swings the door open fully now, walking over and sitting on the edge of the bed. she sighs, holding the cup firmly still.

"i saw. you two seemed to have a little issue last night. what was up?" bringing the cup up to her mouth, she looks straight at me, prepared for details.

i shrug, lacing my hands with each other. "well, i told him about..what happened. he got really protective, and concerned. which he shouldn't be nervous, because i can handle that bastard on my own."

sam nods, pressing her lips together tightly. she lifts an eyebrow at me, tapping her fingernails on the mug. i'm puzzled, holding my hands out in confusion. "what?"

"that's what you walked out on him for?!" sam loudly asks, actually facepalming this time. "yes! he was being crazy, he doesn't need to go after him like that. plus, i can control myself just fine." i reply somewhat irrationally, but still standing by my point.

"y/n, you know i love you, but you really fucked up this time." sam snickers satirically, shaking her head. "he was only trying to be there for you. which is surprising, because he doesn't do that for many people." she continues on, eventually leaning over and setting her cup on the side table. "listen to me,"

"pete mitchell has usually only been there for himself and himself only. but ever since this recent endeavor with you, i believe he'd be there for himself, but you too. it's not easy for a man to switch that mentality, especially so quickly," sam starts, staring at me directly to make sure she gets her point across, "-i know it's not my place, and it's your choice.. but don't be that person. hell, y/n, he went through a burning building to get you!"

and it hit me then. she was right. this little smooch from iceman was a weak distraction from his problems, his flaws that he shows through his actions (his flying too.) but maverick was something else, a different kind of person. he would never sabotage my flying career, but instead help me through the flames of it. literally.

i give her a small smile. "you know i don't like being wrong, but you're right. i don't know what i was thinking."

sam's face brightens. standing up, she claps happily. "i knew you would come to your senses. one small fight is only trying to bring you apart. now come eat something," she winks at me before walking out of the room.

"okay," i call out, before swinging my legs over the edge of the bed.

i think everything has been lifted off of my shoulders.

she was right! the fight was trying to bring us apart...

but how are we going to discuss the kiss?

oh hell no.

i ignore that issue as i stand up, brushing my clothes off and walking into the hallway.

that morning, i decided not to tell sam about me and iceman's kiss. and i knew i would have to do some serious discussing to maverick. serious.

-