fourteen

* * *

the awkwardness of the dogfight training the next morning is unbelievable. me and maverick barely make eye contact, let alone conversation, goose and citrus pick up on it, sharing nervous glances. how can a pair of people be so charmed by each other, and then not speak at all?

jester wraps up his lesson for the day, signaling the class to get up and go home. which, the home in definition was the bar.

maverick mumbles something to goose before standing up in urgency. i eye him, my ability to talk to him crumbling by the second. cirtus nudges me, clearing her throat.

i gather my stuff quickly, scooting out of my seat- practically knocking down goose- trying to catch up to him. "maverick!" i call out, but he seems to not hear me.

"maverick!" i call out again, before he eventually stops in his tracks down the hall. he turns around, an unamused expression on his face.

he is not happy to see me. i think. nevertheless, i still talk to him.

"can we talk?" i ask, looking around at the classmates who walked past us. he stuck his hands in his pockets, "sure. what's going on?" his monotone voice really shows how uninterested he is to see me.

i cross my arms uneasily, feeling uncomfortable. "i just wanted to talk about the other night..outside of the bar?"

maverick scoffed, "yeah. you tell me this guy is about to bust your ass to the headquarters. then you're outside making out with him? what the hell?" he starts to raise his voice, catching glances from the others.

i widen my eyes in panic. "i didn't know he was going to do that! i don't-" i inhale, shaking my head before continuing, "i'm not interested in him. never have been, never will be."

he still shows no emotion on his face.

doesn't he believe me?

"please, pete. you have to believe me."

i'm practically begging at this point.

he looks to the floor, then to the side, then to me. shaking his head, he nods and pulls me towards him. engulfing me into a gentle hug.

i'm surprised a bit, but i've never hugged back more.

"i'm sorry. i shouldn't have given you the silent treatment." maverick whispers, rubbing my back lightly.

"i should have talked about it with you straight away. i'm so sorry, i'll never do that again." i apologize profusely, as he pulls away to peck me on the cheek.

"come on, we can grab a drink or somethi-"

"not so fast, maverick."

jester comes walking down the hall, about six envelopes in his hands. he hands an envelope to me, then to maverick. we glance at each other, confused.

"some of the points are cutting close, so we need essential training time with a few if you. checkmate, you will bring your RIO. maverick, you will bring yours. iceman and his RIO will be accompanying you." jester explains, crossing his arms. "be here at eight o'clock sharp."

i gulp, opening the envelope and watching jester walk away. maverick does the same, a grin on his face. "so you're going against me now, huh?"

i smile. "maybe you're not the best of the best here."

-