Slash and Destroy

Samirah slowly added the blue concoction to the beaker of mutagen.

Come on...this one will work...Donnie backed up in his seat as Samirah leaned away, both waiting to see if something happened. The substance stirred and turned, and the two of them leaned forward excitedly. Suddenly, it started to bubble and sizzle, glowing an odd aqua color. The bubbles popped and sparked, fizzing and filling the beaker.

Donnie groaned. Darn it.

He picked up a pair of pliers and used them to pick up the beaker, which was now foaming no much that it was overflowing. He quickly dumped it in the garbage before it could make anymore mess. He fell back into his desk chair, sighing as he leaned back his head. He just couldn't understand what he was doing wrong. What was he missing? He only had so much mutagen left; he needed to find a cure, and fast. Even with Samirah's help, they hadn't been able to find the right solution yet to the retro-mutagen.

Samirah brought over the remaining mutagen. "There's probably only one or two cups left in this thing," she warned. "We got two chances left to find a retro-mutagen."

Donnie reached under his desk and pulled out another beaker from the large collection he had in his side drawer. He placed it on the desk and took the canister from Samirah.

"DONNIE! SAMIRAH!" 

He screwed his eyes shut as the doors to the lab burst open. He looked up to see Raph stomping over, looking angry as ever. Huffing, Donnie set down the canister and gently pushed his supplies out of the way in time as Raph slammed his hands on the desk.

"Where are they?" the hothead demanded.

"What?" Donnie said.

"My vintage Modern Ninja magazines!"

"What makes you think we know?" Samirah retorted.

"Mikey borrowed them hours ago and he hasn't given them back! He's probably screwed them up and hid them somewhere. Did he hide them in there?"

"Did you check your room?" Samirah huffed.

"Yes!"

"They might've fallen off your bed.  You look underneath it?"

Raph glared at her, not responding for a moment. Samirah smirked. He smacked the table and turned to leave. Donnie felt his brows furrow as he watched him reach the door and stomp off.

The two of them spent the next half hour experimenting on the mutagen, trying to find the best cure. So far, they were met with dead ends and no other leads.

Samirah groaned. "Maybe we should just start throwing things together and hope it works," she suggested.

"We could, but we don't have enough mutagen to start screwing around with it," Donnie replied. "We need to try and get it right."

Samirah shrugged. "Yeah, guess you're right. Who knows when we'll find more?"

Donnie walked over to his lab fridge, pulling out a container full of a bright pink chemical to test with. As he turned, he heard Raph's voice through the open door.

"MIKEY! You got pizza stains all over my collection of Modern Ninja Magazine. They're ruined!"

Donnie and Samirah traded looks before walking to the doors and peeking out. The others were all standing by the pinball machine. Mikey and Raph faced each other, Spike sitting on Raph's shoulder. Pepper was beside them, looking ready to break up the fight if one came up. Leo and the girls were minding their own business, Leo playing the arcade game while the girls looked on, though Raya's ears were cocked toward Mikey, Raph, and Pepper, as though ready to intervene if need be.