Chapter 25

Nightfall began to approach and both Lauryn and Eddie were beginning to worry.

"Should we really be staying here?" Lauryn asked. Eddie looked around.

"No, but-" Eddie began before being cut off by the sound of a car approached. The two exchanged a panicked look. She quickly grabbed Eddie's hand leading him out the back door and into the boat house that rested on the edge of lover's lake.

"Get in the boat" Eddie instructed lifting the trap.

"What?"

"Just get inside" Eddie urged as they heard the car pull up. Lauryn hopped inside followed by Eddie. The two crammed in next to each other. Her head resting on his shoulder as they curled up stiffly in the boat. Lauryn tried to control her breathing as the sound of people approaching grew.

"Rick!" Dustin called out. Lauryn was about to get out of the boat when Eddie pulled her back against his body.

"What are you doing?" Lauryn asked in a hushed tone.

"They could be with the cops. Stay down!" Eddie urged. Lauryn for some reason listened, laying her body back down against his. 

The boat house door creaked open a few minutes later, Robin muttering a "hello? Is anyone home?"

The sounds of other footsteps accompanied her's making Lauryn wonder who and how many people were with her.

"What a dump" Steve commented. He then grabbed an oar, pounding it at the other end of the boat. Lauryn grabbed Eddie tightly as his arm wrapped around her, trying to shelter her from the impending oar.

"What are you doing?" Dustin asked.

"He might be in there" Steve commented, making his way towards the middle.

"Just take the tarp off!" Dustin argued.

"If you're so worried, you take the tarp off" Steve argued back. He continued to pound the oar in the boat. Dustin fed up with Steve's stupid method pulled back the tarp, screaming in fear when he saw someone.

Lauryn and Eddie screamed back before Lauryn opened her eyes to find it was just Steve and his friends.

"What the hell are you doing with me sister?" Steve asked all mad, pulling Lauryn out of the boat and off of Eddie.

"Steve. We didn't kill her. I swear!" Lauryn pleaded, grabbing her brother in a hug. Steve wrapped his arms around her muttering "you are so lucky mom and dad aren't home"

"Eddie! It's me Dustin" Dustin shouted in relief.

"What are you doing here?" Eddie asked, scared.

"We are here to help" Robin explained. Lauryn pulled her head off of Steve's chest. "We just want to talk" Dustin said.

"We want to know what happened" Robin asked. Lauryn looked at Eddie, he shook his head no.

"We didn't kill her. We didn't do it" Lauryn muttered.

"They won't believe us" Eddie muttered back.

"Try us" Max said. Eddie looked up at her, shocked.

"Is it- the upside down?" Dustin asked. Lauryn looked down at her shoes. They all took a seat, trying to stay calm.

"I don't know. But whatever happened to Chrissy Cunningham was no freak accident" Lauryn began. "She went like comatose one moment. Her eyes rolled back in her head"

"Yeah and she began to like float. Slowly lifted in the air and uh, she just hung there. In the air. Her bones- her bones" Eddie said, struggling to tell the story.

"Snapped. In like an unnatural way" Lauryn continued.

"Her eyes man. It was like something was inside her head pulling. I didn't know what to do so I- I ran away, taking Lauryn with me. I left her" Eddie muttered, his hands shaking.

"It was crazy scary" Lauryn muttered, placing a hand on Eddie's shoulder as his head hung low.

"We believe you" Dustin said causing Eddie to freak out even more.

"DONT BULLSHIT ME MAN!" Eddie shouted. "I KNOW HOW THIS SOUNDS".

"We're not bullshitting you" Max reassured him.

"We believe you" Robin said. He looked at Lauryn who gave him a reassuring head shake.

"There are things that have happened in Hawkins. Things people don't know about" Lauryn whispered.

"Look, what I'm about to tell you is difficult to take. You know how people say Hawkins is cursed. They're not way off. There is another world. A world hidden beneath Hawkins....Sometimes it bleeds into ours"

"Like ghosts and shit?" Eddie asked.

"There are some things worse than ghost" Max commented.

"Like what?" Eddie curiously asked.

"There are these monsters from this other world...we thought they were gone. But they've come back before. That's why we needed to find you" Dustin explained.

"If they're back again, we need to know" Max continued.

"That night. Did you see anything?" Robin asked.

"I don't know if they are. It wasn't like that" Lauryn said trying to think back.

"Dark particles, maybe?" Max asked.

"No, nothing like that" Eddie said.

"I want to go home" Lauryn muttered.

Steve tan his hands through his hair. "Look, I can't believe I'm going to say this but stay with Eddie. Tomorrow morning we will bring food"

He patted Robin and Dustin on their backs insinuating it was time to go.

Lauryn and Eddie watched as the four of them left.