Chapter 15

(Meme PoV)

Tbh didn't return from his testing.

I asked TB, who was in the unit next to me, but he didn't know either.

"They never kill experiments unless they're not good enough, if that makes you feel better," TB said, "Even that's rare, they usually just add things to the experiment to make them better."

I sighed. "I'm just worried, is all. I've been trying to help Tbh this whole time... what if it was all for nothing?"

"You did your best," TB reassured, "You can't control what Eli and the rest of Section 5 does."

Despite TB's efforts, that foreboding feeling followed me the rest of the day. Not that there was much following to do, I basically just sat in my unit all day.

And that same thought echoed in my head.

What if Tbh is dead?

—————————

(???? PoV)

I hate this job.

Sure, it pays pretty well. I get some cool experiences, and I have some friends. But watching these experiments get tortured?

I don't know why I've stood by this for so long.

I've grown close to one experiment in particular. Subject M-3M3, but the other experiments call him Meme. He's one of the newer ones, and I've grown fond of him. This entire time, he's been trying to comfort the one they call "Tbh," who seemed to have lost all hope in the situation.

Seemed, past tense. As in, Tbh was killed. Meme still doesn't know, and I want him to know, just to get that unknowing feeling off his shoulders. But I don't want him to blame himself, and I might get in trouble.

I also feel really bad for another experiment, Subject B-1424. I know he has a kind of alias, but I don't know it. The poor guy was friends with both of those guys, as well as a few of the other newer experiments. I think he blames himself for their experimentation, just because he knew them. I've tried talking to him, but ever since Tbh died, he's been really quiet. And more obedient than he used to be.

Eli may like that, but I think it's taken away his free-spirited personality.

So today, I'm gonna figure out how I'm gonna get the experiments out of here.

I walked into the archives room, where we keep files on things such as weapon stocks, climate change, et cetera. But we also keep files on every experiment we've ever done.

I went over to where we had a kind of "front desk," where a man sat at a computer to search the archives. The tag on his shirt read "Steve."

"Can I get files on the experiments?" I asked him. Steve raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Do you have permission by a higher authority?" Steve questioned.

Shoot. I didn't think this through.

"Uh..." I said, but was interrupted by a British, half-robotic voice behind me.

"Yes, she does."

I turned around in surprise to see none other than one of the experiments. Subject L-4FF, or Laff. I didn't know he had free reign of the complex.

"I was with Eli when she asked. Guess he never put it in the system," Laff explained.

I didn't know what he was doing, so I just went along with it and nodded.

Steve sighed. "Alright. Archive 47, E-5."

"Thanks!" I said. Laff followed me over to the Archive section, where I pulled him behind a shelf.

"What are you doing?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"I just helped you, idiot," Laff replied, "Don't think I don't know what you're up to. But I do want to help you,"

Now it was my turn to be suspicious. "Why?"

"Because I don't like what they're doing here, either," Laff said, "I know them all personally. They all hate it. Except Ally and Joocie, they don't seem to mind."

I blinked, a bit surprised by his answer. "How do I know you're not doing this so that you can tell Eli what I'm doing?"

Laff sighed. "You're just gonna have to trust me."

I thought for a moment. Should I trust this guy? I mean, he's probably the closest person to Eli. What if he tells Eli what I'm up to?

"Fine," I said, "But please, don't tell anyone."

The cyborg nodded. "By the way, didn't get your name."

"Lynn," I said.

"Nice to meet you, Lynn," Laff said, "Let's go find those files."

—————————

After a little bit of searching, I found the files I was looking for with Laff's help.

I opened up the first one, labeled "Subject N-4DW3." I knew that one - he's the one that killed Tbh. I looked at the different parts of it, showing his attributes, weaknesses, as well as any extra notes.

One thing that popped out to me was his weakness: sunlight. Something about his experimentation lessened his protection against UV rays or something. I kept a mental note of that in my head.

After looking through the file, I set it aside and moved to the next one.

I did that for maybe the next few hours. I was thankful Laff decided to cover for me while I looked through the files.

I finally got to the last one, the one that belonged to A-117X. I think Laff called her Ally. I opened it up and looked through everything.

And I was a bit surprised when I got to weaknesses.

For that section was empty.

That can't be right, I though. How could she have no weak points? Even B-1 had a weakness (electricity. I could understand why), and he was one of the oldest experiments.

Maybe they did further experimentation on Ally?

I kept that in mind as I gathered all the files to put away on the shelf.

"Lynn?"

I turned around to see Laff standing at the end of the shelf.

"What'd you find out?" He asked, walking over to me.

"Well, I found out that Ally has no weaknesses," I replied, "and that we need to make sure you keep on B-1's good side."

"Why is that the thing I need to know most?" Laff questioned.

"He can hack machines just by looking at them, and that usually ends in said machine spontaneously combusting," I replied.

Laff shivered. "Ouch."

"Anyway, I have to go before everyone starts questioning where the hell I am," I said, "Though I'll have to come back here tomorrow."

"I'll be here to help," Laff replied, "Nice meeting you."

"You too!" I called after him. And at that, I walked out of the archives and back to do my duties.

----------------

Lynn joins the story :D

1048 words