I (rewritten)

──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────

ANOTHER LIFE

──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────

SHOTO'S TRAUMA PLAYED behind his eyes like a never-ending movie. A movie he always knew the ending to. No matter how often he tried to change the characters or the plot, the end was always the same.

His memories were all dull and indistinct, blurring together like watercolors. He couldn't remember how he had gotten every bruise and burn that painted his skin, let alone his body before them. Shoto had never known a life without contusions or felt heat without the sting of a burn. But one day stood out in his memory, playing repeatedly like a broken record. Dancing with Death was an experience that no one, not even a child prone to traumatic amnesia, could forget.

When Shoto was five, he claimed to have dreams about a boy. It was difficult for him to distinguish these dreams from reality. This boy supposedly had jet-black hair with three white stripes on one side and a white, glowing complexion that made him appear angelic. He also had distinct facial features, including golden half-circle eyes with a ring separating two shades of gold. According to Shoto, the boy often wore a black blazer and slacks but sometimes dressed up in a white, collared shirt with suspenders. No matter how many tales he told his siblings about his imaginary friend, they never believed him, especially Toya.

Shoto had never had a friend before, and his friend's unearthly appearance never deterred Shoto from playing with him. The training, beating, crying, and trauma were worth it as long as he saw his friend when his eyes closed for the night. Before meeting his friend, Shoto complained to his mother about his fear of the dark. He hasn't complained since.

Maybe his friend was a Hero like those Shoto saw on TV. His father was supposed to be a Hero, but Shoto never saw him as one. If anything, he was the Villain in Shoto's never-ending movie.

These alleged dreams began after Shoto started having stomach pains. His stomach muscles would clench as what felt like pure acid stirred. The fainting spells started just weeks after. No matter how pale Shoto's skin was or how much his legs quaked when he walked, Endeavor never empathized with his pleas. Instead, he claimed a "little cold wouldn't stop him from surpassing All Might." Shoto's sobs made Rei's heart fall, so she usually had to leave the house while he trained. She knew the consequences of getting in Endeavor's way.

One day, his legs gave out from beneath him during his daily laps. Shoto's bare knees scraped against the cement ground, cutting through the skin and making him cry out. He covered his face in dread as Endeavor stepped over to him.

"Get up," the Pro barked at him.

Shoto's eyes prickled with tears as he held his stomach in pain. As he tried to get up, his legs gave once more. His mother stepped between the two.

"Enji," she begged, trying to aid her son. Shoto's face was beginning to look green, and his mouth tasted bitter. "He's been sick for weeks. Please let him rest. I'm worried about him. What if he needs to see a doctor?"

"Stupid woman," Endeavor remarked, striking the white-haired woman out of the way. "Shoto, I said 'get up.'"

Shoto swore he heard a voice say, 'This is bad' before he leaned on his hand to try and stand up. A faint smell of something burning caught his attention. Shoto's gaze fell on his hands to ensure it wasn't his Quirk before propelling his weight from his hand to his feet. His knees buckled and quaked but didn't give out this time.