8: I Really Like You

Max walked over to us with letters in her hands.
"For you, for you. For you." She handed them out, then hesitated and looked at Lucas, "And.. for you."
She passed three more to Steve, "Oh, and, uh.. give these to Mike, El and Will."

Dustin started opening the envelope.
"What are you doing?" Max questioned, "No, don't. That's not for now. Don't open it now."

"Don't, okay." Dustin resealed the envelope, "I'm sorry, what is this?"

"It's, um, a fail-safe." Max replied, "If after... If things don't work out."

"Wait, woah. Max, thing are gonna work out." Lucas replied.

"No! No, I don't need you to reassure me and tell me it's all gonna work out." Max snapped, "People have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course this asshole curses me."

Lucas looked upset, I mean, everyone did... But especially Lucas. I think they dated for quite a while, but they aren't together anymore.

Max walked over to the walkie-talkie on the table, "If we go to East Hawkins, will this reach Penshurst?"

"Of course. Yeah." Dustin replied.

"Wait- why are we talking about East Hawkins?" Steve asked, protectively, "...No. no, No!"

Max started walking outside to Steve's car, and everyone followed.
"Max. Max!" Steve chased after her, "Seriously, im not driving you anywhere."

"Steve, if you think I'm going to spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike Wheeler's basement, you're out of your mind." Max argued, "So, either take me where I need to go or tie me down, which is technically kidnapping of a minor. And I live to see another day, Steve, I swear to God, I will prosecute."
Max arrived at the car and tried to open the car door, which was locked.
"Open the door."

"Uh, no." Steve replied.

Max glared at him, "I know a good lawyer."

Steve scoffed, "Henderson, your super walkie-talkie better reach Penshurst."

Max, Dustin and Lucas sat in the back and Steve and I sat in the front. I wanted to sit next to Max but Lucas was already there, which made me jealous. I think Steve definitely knew because he kept giving me 'the look'.

We all waited in the car as Max went to visit her mom at the Trailer Park, and give her a letter too.
I fiddled with the brown envelope as I looked out the window, my forehead resting on the cold window. My leg was bouncing uncontrollably, I didn't take my pills again. My hands were sweating and I felt so anxious.

"Hey. Hey." Steve caught my attention.

I turned around, "Yeah?"

"You okay?" He asked, looking at the anxious state I was in.

"Yeah." I turned around to the window again.

"You don't look alright." Steve replied.

I turned around, "Wow, thanks, Steve."

"No, im being serious." Steve replied, "Tell me what's up."

"What are you, my dad?" I asked sarcastically. I brushed the hair out of my face and opened my car door.

"Woah, where are you going?" Steve panicked.

"Im getting something from my house." I replied, shrugging him off and slamming the car door.
I ran to my house and frantically looked around for my meds, "Uncle Wayne?"

No reply.

I quickly looked around the house, checking all the cupboards and drawers. I was compressing an anxiety attack as much as possible.
Finally, I found a bottle of pills in a drawer next to the kitchen sink.
I took two and swallowed them down with tap water, then ran back to the car.