6: That's Harsh

The next morning, we went to visit Eddie again. He's staying at the barn because Jason and the popular kids are after him and accusing him of killing Chrissy.

"So we got, err, some good news and bad news." Dustin said, "How'd you prefer?"

"Bad news." Eddie replied, "Always."

"Bad news. We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you." Dustin explained.

"Also, they're pretty convinced you killed Chrissy." I added.

"Like 100% convinced." Max added.

"And the good news?" Eddie asked.

"Your name hasn't gone public yet. But we found out about you so it's only a matter of time before others do to. And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you." Robin explained.

"Hunt the freak, right?" Eddie questioned.

"Exactly." I replied.

"Shit." Eddie sighed.

"So, before that happens, we need to find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence." Dustin said, trying to be positive.

"That's all, Dustin? That's all?" Eddie asked sarcastically.

Steve joined in, "See, we usually rely on this girl who has superpowers. But, uh, those went bye bye, so..."

Robin interrupted, "So we're technically in the, uh..."

"Brainstorming phase." Max finished.

"There's nothing to worry about." Dustin smiled awkwardly.

Suddenly, sirens started wailing and we hid Eddie underneath the tarp again. We looked out the window to see loads of cop cars speeding down the road.

We all got in Steve's car and left Eddie at the barn.  We arrived at the scene, to another murder. There was a girl talking to the cops and Steve waved at her.

"Who's that?" I whispered to Max.

"Mike's sister." Max replied.

"Is it another murder? By Vecna?" Robin asked.

Dustin nodded, "Shit."

~

"I'm Nancy, by the way. I don't think we've met." Nancy smiled at me.

"I'm Deena Munson." I smiled, "I'm friends with Mike."

We all sat around a table at the trailer park, we were joined by Nancy Wheeler too. Eddie was still at the barn because it wasn't safe yet.

"So, you're saying this thing that killed Fred and Chrissy it's from the upside down?" Nancy asked.

"The shoe fits." Steve replied.

"Our working theory is that he attacks with a spell or curse." Dustin explained, "Now, whether or not he's doing the bidding of the mind flayer or just loves killing teens, we don't know."

"All we know is that this is something different. Something new." Max added.

"It doesn't make sense." Nancy said.

"It's only a theory." I explained.

"No, Fred and Chrissy don't make sense." Nancy corrects, "I mean, why them?"

"Maybe they were just in the wrong place?" Dustin suggested, "I mean, they were both at the game."

"And the trailer park." I add.

"We're at the trailer park." Steve reminds us, "Maybe we shouldn't be here."

"There is something about this place." Nancy said, "Fred started acting weird the second he got here."

"Acting weird as in...?" Robin questioned.

"Scared, on edge, upset." Nancy replied.

"Max said that Chrissy was upset too." Dustin said.

"Yeah, but not here. She was in the bathroom at school." Max replied.

"Serial killers stalk their prey before they strike, right?" Robin asked, "So, maybe Fred and Chrissy saw this Vecman-"

"Vecna." Dustin corrected.

"I don't know about you guys but if I saw some freaky wizard monster, I would mention it to someone." Steve added.

"Maybe they did?" Max questioned, "I saw Chrissy leaving Miss Kelley's office. If you saw a monster you wouldn't go to the police, they wouldn't believe you. But you might go to your—"

"Your shrink." Robin interrupted, and Max nodded.

We left the trailer park and decided to go to Miss Kelley's house. Nancy and Robin went to research about Victor Creel, who was locked away in a mental hospital for murdering his family. Steve didn't like that he couldn't go with Nancy though, which was kind of cute.

"Is this illegal?" I asked, watching Max from the car walk inside her house.

"No. I mean, stealing, yes. But we are stealing for a good cause." Steve replied.

"So, are we gonna talk about it?" Dustin asked.

"Talk about what?" Steve asked.

"You... basically throwing yourself at Nance." Dustin explained.

"First of all, that's not what happened." Steve said.

"It was pretty public. There was a lot of witnesses." Dustin replied.

"I'm a witness." I joined in from the back.

"Your implying that I still have feelings for Nance?" Steve questioned.

"I'm not implying, I'm stating. And, as it relates to your steadfast refusal to date Robin, it's pretty much the only logical explanation." Dustin explained.

"That's not the only one." Steve replied, "And as for Nance, I'm only trying to protect a friend. A friend. I don't wanna find her with her eyes sucked out of her skull by this Vecna creep."

"You're turning red, Steve." I joined in, "Are you blushing?"

"I think he's blushing, Deena." Dustin confirmed sarcastically.

"Both of you, shut up." Steve said, then turned to Dustin, "I'll punch you so hard that your teeth will fall back out."

"Oh." I mumbled, "That's harsh."

"Woah." Dustin added, "Too far."

"Too far? Sorry man." Steve fist bumped Dustin.

A few minutes later, Max came running out of the councillors house.

"Here she comes." Steve mumbled, unlocking the car door for her.

"What she say?" Dustin asked.

"Nothing, just drive." Max blurted out, "Steve, drive!"

"Okay!" Steve turned around and started driving off.