𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐔𝐒𝐄
Chapter III

     𝕳yun Hee stared blankly at the portrait of Duke Jung Kwan Il, her late husband. It has been ten years since he had passed away, and yet his legacy remains, his name had always been coming out of people's mouths. He was a good ruler, and the only thing that tainted his name was having a child with a commoner, that is Min Ryung, and having a second wife that is four times younger than he is , which is Hyun Hee.

     She took one last glance at the portrait and proceeded to leave the manor. The carriage that she will be using was waiting for her outside, along with her escort knights. The family insignia was shining under the sun, a lion.

     "Is everything all set?" Hyun Hee asked her personal maid, Hyo-Sonn. "This is the House Il's second line of defense accompanying us, correct? Who is in charge of their faction?"

     "General Na insisted on coming, your grace. He is in charge of the knights." Hyun Hee furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, biting the inside of her cheek in mild irritation and nervousness. She had already planned how the trip is going to go. And for something to change at the last minute— two things.

     "What about the gifts?" She has suppressed a sigh, she can't do anything about the changes that have been already made. She hated it, not being the one in control.

     Truly, at the end of the day... Hyun Hee Il was just a Duchess by name.

     'Oh, but you know you can change that easily. Come on, mortal. Why are you holding back?' Hyun Hee ignored the statement of her own shadow, at times like this, she loses control of her ability often.

     But they do have a point. She couldn't stay like this forever, so pitiful, so scared of a dying old woman. Always perceived badly by everyone, and with no way to defend herself. She is sick of her life. Sick of everything.

     She herself, was slowly turning sick as well— and without her knowledge. The control, the power... could it ever be hers? And not just the usual false sense of having the upper hand. She wanted it real.

      It was laughable, that she has control but doesn't really. She can't even control her own natural ability, the magic flowing through her veins. On the contrary, she was the one having to follow other people's demands, her own abilities demands.

      'Heh, it won't take long before you snap. We will be there when it happens, enjoying the fine serving of chaos' A burst of maniacal laughter, she smiled slightly in emptiness... as now she couldn't even discern the difference between her ability and her delusions.

     'That is if you will not be dead until then, either one is fine.' That sentence made her want to quiver, Duchess Hyun Hee Il, it sounds so lovely, and yet puts her in such a dangerous position.

     "The route that we are going through is thoroughly inspected as well. I assure you that no problem will come your way, I would make sure that it would be the most comfortable trip you've ever had, your grace."

     Hyun Hee was brought back to reality, she was looking at Hyo-Sonn and to her, it seemed like she was listening intently to what she is saying.

     "Then, shall we go now, your grace?" Hyo-Sonn asked, holding her hand out to help Hyun Hee up the carriage, which is the job of a knight, but everyone knew that Hyun Hee hates people touching her, and there are only a few exemptions_ including Hyo-Sonn.

     "Yes," She takes her hand, lifting herself up and sitting on the carriage, "Wait for secretary Ja and invite him to sit on another carriage. Make it known that I do not want him here. I'll have this carriage all to myself."