𝐀𝐒 𝐈 𝐋𝐈𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐄
Chapter I

     𝕳yun Hee Il lies on her king-sized bed, made from materials of the highest quality, located in the center of her extravagant room.

     It was only natural for a woman like her to live in such luxury, she is a Duchess, after all. She holds a vast amount of wealth, power, and authority.

     It was like any other night in her cold chamber, she was flopped down on her bed with her back sank into the soft mattress, and yet her eyes are wide open- staring blankly at her ceiling painted by one of the most well-known artists of the decade.

     She couldn't sleep, and she was used to not being able to get a decent amount of rest every single night.

     Her mind is in chaos, it floods with different emotions in contrast to her unexpressive and stoic face. It was all negative feelings, negative thoughts, selfish wants, and her worst fears... sometimes her own mind scares her.

     It makes her question herself if she's still sane, and if she fortunately is, how long would her mind remains stable?

     She shut her eyes closed in hopes that sleep would consume her and if she was lucky enough, she can dream of something beautiful and not suffer through several repeating nightmares that now doesn't have the ability to pull off emotions from her, she no longer feels scared, she no longer feels sad nor find herself shedding tears when those nightmares come to visit her.

     Maybe it would be better for her to not dream of anything at all and fall into a dreamless slumber.

     That even just for a couple of hours, she can put herself at ease. But she knew that will never happen. Even if she was granted the rest that she yearns for, she couldn't let her guard down.

     Not when the enemies are living in the same manor. Enemies aren't even the right term, they were just bugs that she will soon dispose of, bugs that as of now... she could not banish from existence.

     As long as such people are near her, she couldn't possibly be at ease. Perhaps this is the main reason why she developed insomnia.

     She could feel the stares of the shadows watching her. But she can't rely on them. Once she has fallen asleep, they will no longer be under her control.

     Hyun Hee was never alone. Growing up, her father always told her that the darkness is her friend. She remembered laughing back then, when his so-called friends have done nothing to save him, they left.

     Darkness is a friend, but only when you make use of it and if you know how to use it.

     A tired sigh escaped her lips, watching as the moon slowly retreated. It was morning, and only now did she feel her eyelids getting heavy.

     Again, she tried to fall asleep, today especially needing the energy. Because later, she will visit the Henituse residence, she needs to have the strength to resist the urge to strangle the eldest son with an alcohol addiction and personality that comes from a sewage drain.

     Hyun Hee does not believe in any gods or deities that are supposedly watching over them. But that man made her want to try praying, if things go according to plan... she plans to dispose of him as well.

——— • ———

     𝕸eanwhile, in the household that she would be visiting stood a red-haired male in front of a mirror, the fact that he is indeed transported to another world quickly sinking in.

     "...This is Cale." He stared at his reflection, combing his hair up as he recollects his last moments before waking up as a novel character.

     When he opened his eyes, he had become none other than Cale Henituse. Earlier, nothing had been unusual on his day off. He just borrowed 'Birth of a Hero' and then dozed off while reading it.

     The thought that he was in trouble now that he possesses this person's appearance enters his mind. Cale Henituse appeared in the first volume of the novel and his treatment at the hands of Han Choi, the protagonist, was meant to be satisfying.

     'Well, it's not like I have any regrets,' he thought as he relaxes in a hot tub. There was nothing to regret, as an orphan, he had no money. No sweetheart to die for and no friends to give his life to.

     He had just lived on because he couldn't die, much like most people in the world. That was his life as Kim Rok-Soo. But he can't just die here. He doesn't like the thought of dying, nor does he like pain. He'd rather roll around in dog shit before letting that happen.

     He checked his side for a scar but found none. That would mean that he hadn't met Choi Han yet.

     The trash of the Count's family ; Cale Henituse. He got wasted a caused a scene right before meeting Choi Han, that's how he received a scar on his side... and that was all because the alcohol didn't taste good.

     He didn't know what happened to the 'trash' Cale after that. The protagonist went on to have many fateful encounters and overcame countless trials, to grow into a typical hero.

     However, as Kim Rok-Soo who became Cale. His life motto is simple... "For now, let's try not to get beat up."

     He got out of the tub and draped a towel around his neck, 'Thankfully, I remember all the parts at the beginning of the novel.'

     Then his gaze landed on his hand, his eyes monetarily widen for a few seconds after finding a ring wrapped around his finger.

     That's right, how could he forget? Cale Henituse was currently engaged to Duchess Hyun Hee Il, another significant character in 'Birth of a Hero'.

     "How troublesome," he spoke, raising his hand up to get a better look at the clearly expensive ring. He wondered how much money it costs.

     Hyun Hee Il, he hadn't had any sort of interest in the character, that is until the later chapters where she has more screen time and action. Then the shocking plot twist that made him re-read a few volumes.

     That is because Hyun Hee Il, betrayed Han Choi and was then introduced as another major antagonist of the novel.