Two

I'll be putting pictures or memes on every chapter, cuz I'm bored.

You made it to the third chapter!! Thanks sooo much! Feel free to give constructive criticism.

~~~~~

Previously...

"The test starts now."

"NOOOOO!"

__________
And so Urokodaki left you two on the mountain to get back to his house by sunrise.

"I see! He thinks I might get lost in this thick fog-" The burgundy boy started, but you cut in.

"He wouldn't make it that easy. He already knows about you're sense of smell. Also, there are traps all over the path on the way back."

"Really?" Tanjiro sniffed the air, and sure enough, he could sense a trip wire up ahead, "Wow! How did you figure all this out so quickly?"

You shrugged, "Perception.", then added, "Try to get your breathing under control, and sniff out the traps."

"O-okay, good idea."

"Let's go!" You pulled your h/c hair back into a ponytail, and exclaimed.

...

You followed after Tanjiro's steps, since you didn't have a great sense of smell, you had trouble identifying the traps, so you kinda let Tanjiro lead the way. After hours of running, getting ambushed by traps, and Tanjiro yelling "Nezuko!", the two of you finally made it back seconds before sunrise.

You panted and slid open the door to Urokodaki's house, "WHOO-HOO!!"

You raised your hand for a high-five, but Tanjiro already passed out. So you dragged him inside, you realized you haven't got any rest since you had first woken up on the forest floor of Mount Sagiri.

But I mean you were used to living on 5 hours of sleep a week anyway.

"... I accept both of you as my students." Said Urokodaki.

"HA!! Just when you thought I wasn't gonna make it huh??"

You left the unconscious Tanjiro on the floor. The man showed me to a room where you would be staying, and you didn't even bother to change, shower, or even take off your shoes before collapsing on your futon. Your white shoes were now brown, your glasses gone missing, and your jeans had new holes and rips in them(DIY ripped jeans lol). You didn't even care that you were covered in soot and blood. You probably started snoring the moment you hit the pillow.

...

*knock* *knock* *knock*

"Get up, training starts today."

"UGHHHHHH NOOOOO!" You complained, but still got up, quickly washed and changed.

Urokodaki-sensei had to tell Tanjiro that he accepted him as his student (since Tanjiro had passed out when he told you that yesterday), and explained to you and Tanjiro everything about the Demon Slayer Corps, Demons, and Final selection. Which, you already knew.

"You will be repeatedly descending the mountain today, descend as many times as you can before sundown."

You and Tanjiro did not waste any time, and started to make your way up the mountain.

You scoured the mountain for any clue of how you could possibly return home, but as the hours of the day passed and walking up the mountain dozens of times finding nothing, you started to recognize something: you may never be able to go back to your world ever again. There was no way out.

"You seem sad, are you okay?" Tanjiro asked, studying you with concerned red eyes as you scaled up the mountain once again.

You snapped out of your thoughts, "Hmm? What do you mean?" You forced a smile to show him that you were okay. There's no point in trying to explain, anyway.

The boy shook his head, "Even though you're smiling, all I can smell is grief and sorrow. Something tragic must have happened, if you ever want to talk about it...?"

"Jeez, I forgot you could smell really well." You sighed as you pawed your hair out of your face and cast your e/c eyes to the ground, attempting to change the subject, you asked, "Why did you want to become a swordsman?"

Thankfully, Tanjiro didn't push for answers, he started told you about how he lost his family and come to become a demon slayer. You had watched it all happen in the anime, you felt the pain and grief Tanjiro had.

"...I-I'm definitely going find and kill the demon who murdered my family." Tanjiro balled his fists.

"You will, I believe in you!!" You knew that from reading the manga that Tanjiro had played an important role in the defeat of Muzan Jackson.

"What about you Y/n-chan? Why do you want to become a demon slayer?"

"I want to protect and save people, they deserve to live in a world without demons." You simply said, repeating the same thing you had said to Urokodaki-sensei. And it was true, if you were able to pass Final Selection and get stronger, maybe you could save the beloved characters of demon slayer from their impending deaths, like preventing Rengoku from becoming a doughnut in a certain doughnut-making arc... Y/n! Don't get too ahead of yourself. You thought. It was only your first day of training.

Just then, something shiny reflecting the light of the setting sun caught your eye.

"MY PHONE!!" You yelled as you ran to retrieve the rectangular metal device that hadn't even been invented yet in this time period. The phone must have fallen out of your pocket the previous day after all the running.

Tanjiro observed the phone with curiosity, "What is it?"

"I-It's the only thing I have left from my life before I came here to train with Urokodaki-sensei."

The screen was cracked, but there was still 10% battery on the phone. You turned on the low power mode and secured it safely inside a pocket.

You and Tanjiro descended the mountain one last time that day in record time before head back to Urokodaki-sensei's house.

You rushed back to your room and took out your phone, there was only 6% of battery left and no way to charge it. You clicked open settings——>Wi-Fi, trying to catch a signal, but there was none. You couldn't use your phone to contact anyone back home.

Well, there goes the last sliver of hope.

You blankly stared at the screen. 5% left. What could you do with the last 5% of power the phone has? You sniffled, feeling silent tears streaming from your eyes, down your cheeks.

"Y-y/n?" You looked down to see Tanjiro was at the door while you weren't paying attention.

"How long have you been there?" You asked, not bothering to cover your tears.

"I just came to tell you that Urokodaki-sensei said that dinner was ready... Are you okay?"

You sobbed as you mumbled incoherent words through your hands, "My friends and family... I won't ever see them again."

He came over and patted your back. "I-I'm so sorry to hear that Y/n-chan... If you ever need anything, I'm here."

"Thanks." You mumbled.

...

You decided to skip dinner. You knew it wasn't healthy but you just needed some time to process everything. It eventually got dark outside so you decided to go to bed. Tomorrow would be another day of arduous training, you would need a lot of rest.
__________

To be continued!