05:Last Day

The next day went by quickly and Rosie still hadn't responded to any of Emma's calls or texts. She kept herself busy with getting ready for the trip as a distraction and so far so good. It was  distracting alright.

Thinking about it, it would have be much easier and faster if she took a flight but her dad insisted on driving for about six hours saying he needed more time before sending his little girl off.

"Goodness."

Emma suddenly exhaled and chuckled folding the last piece of clothing and putting it gently into her suitcase.

"He's really going to miss me that man." Smiling softly, she zipped it shut and strolled towards her closet to do one final check and,

"Wow!" Her eyes widened staring at the fully packed closet. It was now it dawned on her that she barely took anything from it. She took all the neatly folded clothes that were kept on her bed obviously by her mum and they already filled her suitcase.

Obviously from the shopping spree that happened earlier on.

"Oh Mum!" She gasped quickly shuffling through the clothes in her closet while pouting.

"She really spent a lot on shopping, I guess she did it so I won't look too out of place. Kinda. She understood that the school had an unspoken ranking system that was quite harsh even to some of the students who were hella rich. Well we weren't poor. No. Not at all. Dad was a three star Michelin Chef and ran a 5 star restaurant. Mum was the host of a top rated cooking show- But all these wouldn't hold a candle to most of the students there-"

A knock on the door interrupted her train of thoughts turning to sight her mum leaning on the door frame.

"Time for dinner sweetie."

"K mum I'll be right down."

Picking out a few clothes, she tossed them on the bed closing the closet before going downstairs.

Approaching the dinning table, she was already drunk with the sweet aroma that she was all too used to.

"Don't tell me-" She hurriedly sat down next to her dad on the table.

"Yep." Mrs Blake replied setting a plate down in front of her.

"Your favourite. Spaghetti and meatballs with my very special twist. Just the way you like it."

"Yay thanks mum." She dug in happily stuffing her face.

"Eat slowly before you choke." Her dad warned surprised at her speed making everyone laugh.

This was how she normally had dinner. At the table with her mother, father and elder brother but- that was soon going to change. Emma's happy expression slowly disappeared as she suddenly remembered what she temporarily forgot.

She was leaving and her best friend wasn't speaking to her.

Immediately after desert, her father spoke.

"I heard about what happened with Rosie at Aubrey's party."

"Oh."

"How is she taking it?" Her mum asked standing up and coming closer.

"Horribly. She hasn't answered any of my calls or texts. Won't talk to me."

Her mum looked to her dad and then Matthew for a brief second. They seemed to have silently agreed on something before she finally spoke.

"You know Emma, you can choose not to go this time... Stay here in Sacramento and then patch things up in due time."

Emma chuckled with a sad look on her face. "Um No. No thanks mum. I worked very hard for this and it's exactly as you said, a good opportunity that I can't possibly afford to pass up. I'm not sure it will ever come again so- Yh."

She looked to each of them for at least two seconds hoping she passed along her resolve.

"I'm going." She emphasized playfully. "I'm going. Ok guys." She said with a smile managing to sound a bit more cheerful than before.

"It's a good thing you guys. Something to be happy about." She seemed cheerful but they all knew deep down her feelings were probably the opposite.

"You guys should stop this. Oh my gosh." She playfully slapped her brother's arm and looked to her parents.

"Oh the cringe. When do we have such heartfelt family talks and be so serious huh? Neverrrr or maybe once in a long long while but it hasn't been so long since the last one so I won't let another happen so soon ok?" She announced smiling and getting up.

"I'm going to go finish packing up now. Better get some sleep in for tomorrow dad." She voiced heading for the stairs when she heard his reply.

"Don't stay up too late honey."

"K dad."

Emma felt a little relieved as she found a way to turn things around. She was the one who didn't tell Rosie which made her so upset and not them. They shouldn't have to take the remedy for her pain.

Attending The Elite would guarantee her a job maybe even before she finishes school so this would be a very good thing. Maybe the best thing to ever happen to her. She would be independent, mum and dad wouldn't need to spend any more money on her tuition and she would have a good and well paying job waiting for her. It was the perfect opportunity and she was not going to let it pass by. At least not so easily.

She had arrived at her room by the time her train of thoughts came to a stop.

"If Rosie can't understand this then-" She dropped to the bed trying not to think reaching for her phone as she had been doing since the fight. It would soon become a reflex at this rate.

She took a quick glance at it but had to look again as something seemed slightly different.

"Read?" Emma smiled to herself letting out a deep breath she didn't realize she was holding since she held her phone.

Letting it slip out of her hand, she fell to the bed using her hand to shield her eyes.

"Progress. Step by step."

She got up taking the clothes she left on her bed and crammed them into the suitcase zipping it shut.

"Now that I'm finally done," she gently rested it on the floor and jumped on her bed.

"Time to Sleep."