01: Shopping Spree

The blare of the alarm clock dragged Emma out of sleep. Instantly reaching for her phone, she double-taped on the screen.

"7:30?!"

Surprised, she jerked up as every bit of sleep cleared from her eyes. Why did she wake up so late?

Sliding down from the bed, she frantically slid into her slippers in a hurry to wash up and properly begin her day when her mother suddenly barged into the room practically beaming.

"Good morning, my honey dearest." She greeted happily.

"Morning Mum," Emma responded. Cautiously.

"What's up?"

She could bet something was up by the way her mother was beaming and wasn't going to fall for another one of her tricks. At least not today.

"Well. . ." Her mum trailed on quickly shuffling through all the clothes neatly hung in the closet.

"So. . . I have been thinking and realized that you might need a little closet makeover. You know. Just a little school shopping is all." She turned with a bright smile plastered on her face.

Was she auditioning to replace the sun or what exactly? Cause she's already got the part.

"Goodness, mum." Emma chuckled briefly, shielding her eyes with her hand.

"Your smile could replace the sun right now you know? And I have enough clothes, footwear and accessories already so what do you want? Just say it."

"I mean. I was just thinking since your clothes are so few and look quite old-" She paused to bat her lashes in a solemn plea.

"I'm just thinking out loud here. You've got to give it a chance first before you decide ok?"

"Mum-" Emma called exasperated. "Just get to the point already."

"We're going... shopping today!" She happily announced.

"What now?"

Emma wore a confused look while taking a good long look at her closet before gesturing to it with both hands.

"It's literally full. We went to the mall just last week which need I remind you was three days ago."

"Did we? Hmmm- I don't quite remember darling. It feels like it was months ago. Must be the dementia that tags along with getting old." She replied heaving out a quick breath and placing one hand on her hip and both her index finger and thumb on the bridge of her nose.

This, as all else she dramatized, made both of them giggle.

Judging by the way she always acted, one would wonder if being a chef was the right career path for her. The theatres would love her.

"I don't need more clothes Mum. And you know I don't enjoy shopping. To be honest, I hate it and you know that."

Her voice sounded even more concerned as she sunk deep into her bed.

"Tell me. What's up?"

Closing the closet rather slowly, her mother shrugged nonchalantly.

"Just because."

"Or is it cause I might go to The Elites next month?"

Releasing a deep breath she wasn't aware she was holding, she turned, "Ok- Ok. You got me but-."

She came closer and sat next to Emma.

"What's this might I'm hearing? You don't want to go?"

"I mean I want to but-"