141 | Untold Truth

KRIST STARES AT THE horizon in front of him with a tired expression on his face. The master joker was on the rooftop in J.S High, a place that was filled with sweet yet bitter memories. Sometimes he wonders why he chose this place despite everything that happened to him here, but Krist knew deep in his heart that he didn't want to let go of his past either, especially with everything that happened to them.

     "Mj!" Someone shouted as the door to the rooftop swung open behind him. Krist didn't turn around or say anything, but when he heard the footsteps running toward him, he already knew who the guests were.

     "Master Joker," all of the members of Jokers greeted with a respectable bow.

     Brave—the right-hand man—takes a step closer and eases his breathing, obviously showing how he and the rest of his brotherhood ran all the way to the rooftop to greet their leader who has been gone since the incident.

     "Mj, why didn't you tell us that you already went back to school?" Brave asks.

     Krist looks down at his hand and stares at the cigarette that he was actually holding. He was supposed to light it up, but unfortunately for him, he forgot to bring his lighter, so he placed it back inside his pocket instead.

     "I heard about your unfair confrontation with Cj," Krist suddenly opens up, instantly making Brave take a step back. "When I heard of what Cj did, I didn't immediately see him because I knew that my words would only be filled with unintentional hate. You should have done the same."

     "But Mj—"

     "You did not have the right to do what you did to him. I understand your sentiment...your anger...your disappointment, but all that was for me to swallow, not yours," Krist scolds with a cold tone.

     Brave gulps, and then he immediately went down on one knee to bow; the rest of the members did the same. "I apologize, Master Joker. I crossed the line and let my emotions get the best of me," Brave says, his head bowing deeply.

     Krist takes a deep breath and continues to look at the horizon before saying, "Head to where the count is and apologize to him. I'll privately talk to Cj about the matter between us soon after, is that understood?"

Brave and the others were surprised, but they bowed their heads eventually and answered in unison, "Yes, Master Joker."

     "Looks like you really do fit the leader role," a feminine voice suddenly says, automatically making the barons stand to welcome the intruder. Krist also turned around to see who it was, and when everyone finally saw him, Krist's eyes widened from shock, surprised to see an unexpected guest.

     "Siren," Krist says, but he quickly shakes his head and clarifies, "N-No, you're the new leader. That's what the association reported to us."

     Siren—whose real identity is actually River Hansen Karlsson, an identity that only the top 3 brotherhoods (Busters, PHD, and BND), as well as Max, knows about—walks towards Jokers while holding his famous cane, making the members move back in terror.

NOTE: In the book, River will still be referred to as Siren (with she/her pronoun) whenever River wears the mask and acts as the leader of Crazy 8. River clarified that Siren will be his new persona or second identity. But when I refer to him as River (this will mostly happen whenever Max is with him), he'll use he/him pronoun. Hope this doesn't confuse you!

     "I can't really say I'm new, considering how I've always been the one you were all talking to, but yes, I am the new leader, but I would still like you to address me as Siren," Siren says, smirking behind the mask before finally stopping in front of Krist.