TWENTY SIX

"Ms. McCarran."

Her screams died instantly when she saw that the person holding her arms was Henry. His eyes searched over her quickly, his breath coming out in quick, short burst. Much like hers.

"Henry," Malora breathed, body locked tight with pain and flight. "Help me."

His eyes left hers only for a second to check above her head. Malora was too scared to look so she kept her face forward, choosing to use him as her mirror. His face reflected nothing though.

"Here." He removed his jacket and wrapped it around her before taking her wrist.

She held the lapel with her shaking fingers.

"Come with me."

Malora let herself be led to the elevator. Henry kept a firm, but soft grip around her wrist on the ride down even though it didn't seem like Nathaniel would be coming after her any soon. Once they got to the ground  floor, the door opened to admit them into the lobby where a harried looking porter was waiting.

Henry didn't pause in his stride to talk to the man, but he did nod. Malora couldn't meet his eye because she must look a fright if her throbbing cheek and body was anything to go by.

The bright sun enveloped them with its warm embrace once they stepped out of the building. He led her to the car he'd brought her in earlier, and started to reach for the door knob but then he paused. At first, she didn't notice the new arrival of another car, until its tires squealed and it's almost T-boned their car.

Startled by the noise, Malora jerked back into Henry's arms and solid chest.

"It's okay," Henry murmured.

The door of the new car opened even before it was properly parked. And a familiar figure emerged from the car. Gray eyes scanned the entrance to the building quickly then fell on her.

"Mal."

The words were soundless, but she heard them notheless. At the sight of him all her bones liquified and her body began to shake, her teeth clattering. Hot tears poured out of her eyes like fountain and she seemed to loose the control of her body.

"She's going into shock!" That was Henry.

Malora felt herself begin to faint even before her knees knocked together and she was sinking to the floor.

Strong familiar arms wrapped around her body before she could hit the floor and pulled her into a known chest. His smell enveloped her as well as her senses. Through blurry eyes she watched him, lips quivering and teeth gnashing together. She heard him call her name several times even as she felt herself being lifted and the motion of someone being on the move.

Yet, despite all pleas with her to stay awake and conscious, Malora succumbed to the blackness beckoning her.

*

Pain.

Deep searing pain was what she first became conscious.

And this pain wasn't just throbbing, but it was full-on aching and hammering. It reminded her of the continuous drive of hammer against nail, or teeth of a chainsaw cutting through wood. It was that bad.

Malora slowly opened her eyes, glad that she had enough sense to shut the blinds before going to bed the night before and also remembered to switch-off the light. Pain made its self known behind her lids and she had to shut and open her eyes several times until the pain was bearable.

The second thing she became aware of was that she was in an unfamiliar bedroom. This one had all tones of royal blue and a bit of yellow here and there. It was quiet large and had lots of room. It was like those sleek bedroom she saw in magazines, complete with modern day appliances and a fireplace that would make any estate weep with joy.