TWENTY-FIVE

"Do you actually believe that he has changed?"

Malora let her gaze drift outside the window of the car, enjoying the view of London waking up. Shops and stores were just opening and people hurried along the pedestrian walk, dogging sharp elbows and colliding into men in suits who spoke rapidly into the mouth piece of their phone. There was just this thrill in people-watching.

She'd left shortly after Titan did, and Henry had been waiting for her outside, which was surprising. She expected him to be the one to drive Titan to the airport. Maybe he had another driver she didn't know about, the man was rich enough to afford it, after all.

Mika's call came in just as they pulled away from the company, and Malora had taken the time to fill her in on what was currently going on in her life. It was understandable that her friend was skeptic.

"I want to believe he has changed," Malora replied. "He asked me to be his girlfriend, Mika. He even let me sleep in one of hiss numerous houses, allowed me to touch him. I mean, the man had a panic attack in my presence. No one shows that much weakness unless they trust you."

Mika hummed. "While I'm happy about his new found feelings, I think you're forgetting what this man is capable of, Mal. What if this is all an elaborate plan to hurt you? Don't forget that these rich folks don't let grudges go easily."

"Mika, you didn't see how he looked last night. He will not hurt me, I know this for sure."

"Let's just assume that he is now madly in love with you, why in the world would he still remain engaged to Meredith Grey? Or did he tell you the he was going to break things off with her?"

Malora couldn't speak for a few minutes, because as much as she wanted to believe that Titan felt something for her, he hadn't made any declarations of love, neither did he mention breaking off the engagement with his fiancée.

"I don't want to see you hurt, Mal," Mika continued, "The both of you aren't being honest with each other. Have you told him about the children? Has he taking to you any social function or introduce you to someone who isn't on his pay roll? Do you even know what the man likes to eat best? His favorite color? A relationship is nothing if there is no honesty from both parties. And if this guy isn't ready to break it off with what's-her-face, then he isn't ready to move forward with you either. The man is a sadist!"

"Mika!"

"What? I'm only telling you the truth no matter how bitter it is. I want you to be very careful, Malora. I saw what happened the first time, and I refuse to let it happen again."

Malora sighed. She glanced at Henry to see if he was listening in on her conversation, but the man's face was turned away from her and he seemed to be concentrating on navigating the morning traffic. She knew he must be listening, but will the tell his boss?

"I have just twenty-two more days to spend with him. Plus he asked me not to leave no matter what happens, after the forty-seven days are up."

"Nothing good ever comes out of a statement like that. That man has more secrets than the MI6, and that's saying something. Oh my God, what if he's in the mafia?"

Malora couldn't resist rolling her eyes and laughing at the absurd imagination her friend had. The woman was something. "He isn't in the mafia." She met Henry's eyes in the rearview mirror, the amused twinkled in his eyes told her that he was indeed eavesdropping on her conversation. She shot him an amused smile in return.

"I know you worry, Mika, but I will not let myself get hurt again this time."

A snort was her answer.